Research and Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistymountiandr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody I am new to this forum. I was searching around on the net and stumbled on this page. I have a dilema on my hands. This past half year or so I have worked in a biotech lab which I really enjoy doing. I was accepted into dental school this last winter for this fall semester. I however have become fond of doing research and I am beginnig to question dental school because of this.
What I would like to know is, are there any research opprotunities for graduating dentists? Do many students go to dental school and pursue research? If I would like to do research, would dental school be a waste of my time where I could go to a graduate school and accomplish the same thing in less time?
I could see myself as a dentist in the future, but I really have enjoyed working in this lab doing research. Can I have the best of both worlds? Also, if there are graduating dentists doing research, what type of pay scale do they usually see?
Thanks for all your help in advance. This is a stressfull situation for me because school starts in a month, and I need to decide soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're a newbie, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by not calling you clueless! ;)
The short answer is NO for all of the above.
mistymountiandr said:
If I would like to do research, would dental school be a waste of my time where I could go to a graduate school and accomplish the same thing in less time?
If you like biotech research, dental school is a waste of your time. Most of the dental students do research so that they can solidify their resumes for Post-Doc. Fundings for research for dentistry is limited. You can do research after graduating but you most likely have to practice dentistry for living.
What "graduate school" that you can "accomplish the same thing in less time"? What cha talkin' 'bout, Willis? ITT Tech? I hope you're not talking about dentistry!
mistymountiandr said:
This is a stressfull situation for me because school starts in a month, and I need to decide soon.
Really?! I thought that you had decided BEFORE you applied to dental school, not AFTER you were accepted. I'm sure that someone out there would kill for your spot! Withdraw your acceptance and continue the biotech research.

I disagree with inn2. I have a research background from before dental school. I think it's an excellent combo, and dental school is not a waste of time. Yes, it is rare to find someone in dentistry who truly loves research. Most guys just do it to get into post-grad residencies. It's a must which tells me how important it is to the growth of the field. With your background, you will have opportunities that others will not. Sadly, most dental students are not interested in those opportunities anyway. You can do okay in dental research. Full-time salaries are only $75K per year, BUT they have programs that pay back $20K per year toward your student loans if you do research half-time after you graduate. You would also make money in faculty practice. Maybe not much, but you'd bring your income over $100K. That, combined with your benefits such as insurance, retirement, and others, you can live a comfortable life.
If you were interested in dentistry enough to pursue it to this point and you can see yourself doing dentistry, I'd go for it.
Good luck. I hope you do make the decision to better the field of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're young and have the time and interest, consider going for a joint PhD/DDS degree. The education will be free, and you will be qualified to practice dentistry and/or do research and/or teach, and/or work in industry. In the right industry, you can make a killing, if that is your goal. A colleague of mine did a joint orthodontics PhD and went to work for a bracket design company (I believe 3M), and they are paying him a LOT of money... research does not necessarily have to be for an academic institution.

mistymountiandr said:
Hi everybody I am new to this forum. I was searching around on the net and stumbled on this page. I have a dilema on my hands. This past half year or so I have worked in a biotech lab which I really enjoy doing. I was accepted into dental school this last winter for this fall semester. I however have become fond of doing research and I am beginnig to question dental school because of this.
What I would like to know is, are there any research opprotunities for graduating dentists? Do many students go to dental school and pursue research? If I would like to do research, would dental school be a waste of my time where I could go to a graduate school and accomplish the same thing in less time?
I could see myself as a dentist in the future, but I really have enjoyed working in this lab doing research. Can I have the best of both worlds? Also, if there are graduating dentists doing research, what type of pay scale do they usually see?
Thanks for all your help in advance. This is a stressfull situation for me because school starts in a month, and I need to decide soon.

I guess I should have clarified better. When I said that I could do the same at a graduate school, I meant to say that I would obtain a PhDand be able to do research, where as in dentistry I wouldn't be able to do research right out of school with a DDS.

I applied to dental school before I got this job (it was first a part-time thing while I was in undergrad). Now, I am beginning to like the research end of science because it is really what drives the dental/medical field. I have heard of research in dentistry, but I have heard of no one who pursues a career in dentistry to do it. At this moment I am having a tough time deciding b/c I really don't know what field would be better for me. Maybe a PhD/DDS degree would be my route, but I don't want to be going to school for another eight years (I am assuming that is how long it would probably take). Anyway, thanks for the replies and if you all have any more adivce keep it coming.

mistymountiandr said:
...I don't want to be going to school for another eight years (I am assuming that is how long it would probably take). Anyway, thanks for the replies and if you all have any more adivce keep it coming.

Our DDS/PhD program is 6 or 7 yrs I think. About a yr longer than a traditional PhD (5.5yrs). There are many dentists in academia that spend a large portion of their time in research. Check out an AADR (Amer Acad of Dental Research) meeting. Before you make any rash decisions, I would ask to talk to the Dean of Research at your school about your interests, and ask if he or she can point you in the right direction. It sounds like you need to be mentored by a faculty (DDS) that is deeply involved in research.

DDSSlave said:
Our DDS/PhD program is 6 or 7 yrs I think. About a yr longer than a traditional PhD (5.5yrs). There are many dentists in academia that spend a large portion of their time in research. Check out an AADR (Amer Acad of Dental Research) meeting. Before you make any rash decisions, I would ask to talk to the Dean of Research at your school about your interests, and ask if he or she can point you in the right direction. It sounds like you need to be mentored by a faculty (DDS) that is deeply involved in research.

Right now I am doing a summer research project at the NIDCR and most of the people in my lab are DDS people. Many also have or are in the process of obtaining their PhD as well. You can land a job in research without a PhD, but it is highly recommended that you pursue the PhD if you are actually serious about research. I wouldn't look at it as another 2-4 years of school. If you like doing research, getting a PhD shouldn't be a problem and should be something you would enjoy doing anyway.

this past year i have been doing reserach at the dental school. most the professors i work with are DDS, PhD. what they did was get their dds then went for PhD. it isn't that bad. but you don't need a PhD to do research. i would say go for it. do research while in dental school and beyond.

mistymountiandr said:
hello misty mountain..in a generation of cut throat competition among dental students to specialize and get good jobs, you have come out as unique with so much of interest in research! I think if you are interested in a career in research you must go for it...there are tremendous oppurtunities for research in dentistry especially in materials science, bone biology and of recently biotechnology in dentistry...we certainly need more and more people to get into the field of dental research as very soon the current people will cease to exist in the field and there will be a HUGE void to fill! a part of it will be filled by foriegn graduates,(in fact, currently i think about 70% of all new students in research here are/were born in asia) but certainly the field is open!
about pay, I have actually met the dentist who invented lasers for endodontics and the dentist who invented I-bond (a dental material) and i can only imagine how rich they are! just to give you a headstart...think of yourself as a dental scientist who will probably discover a way to implant tooth germs and grow "new teeth" in edentulous areas! and imagine the millions of dollars you will make if that idea is sold to biotech companies ;) good luck

:eek: lot of comments confused of which is right

I would say "yes" it's worth it to do research in dentistry. It's a big thing at my school (SUNY Stony Brook).

Researchers in dentistry are often future faculty members doing research with teaching and private practice. We need you DDS/PhD's or DDS/M.Sc. to teach our future dentists and also to further our knowledge horizons about dental basic sciences.

There is still so much scientists DON'T know about dental morphogenesis, periodontal disease mechanisms, oral cancer, etc.

And as previous posts have said, dentists can still improve their technique in treating incipient caries, and could improve their dental materials and bonding to make them more retentive (with smaller preparations), longer lasting, less expensive, less technique-sensitive, more bio-compatible.

It's often tough for a young person to decide to go into research/teaching because it often means less remuneration than total private practice. It's a pleasure for a faculty member to see someone like you who would want to do research for the long run (previous post mentioned current lack of American-trained dentists in dental research programs). A plus for doing research as opposed to total private practice is the intellectual stimulation and interaction with faculty/administration/research colleagues.

hey could you explain how it is possible/what one needs to do, in order to be able to practice dentistry and at the same time teach/do research. that is if you want the income of a dentist, but also part of your time you want to be in academia.
you're saying that one doesnt need a ph.d. in order to do research, and indeed if you look at the professors of many dental schools, many of them dont have ph.d. So what did they do besides dental school/residency in order to get their own labs? And what if you want to practice dentistry but do research in another area, not related so much to dentistry?

There are TONS of research opportunities available in dentistry. If you really want to do research, you will be given every opportunity to do so. There are even schools that will offer a full ride scholarship for pursuing a joint DDS/PhD degree. You can do materials science, medical science, biotech, whatever you want.

You will probably find that schools will be fighting to give you a lab and faculty position when you graduate. By all means, stick with dental school; dentistry NEEDS people like you.

mistymountiandr said:

From personal experience, I can tell you that participating in dental related research has many rewards but it all depends on what your goals are.

Some DDS curriculums offer a joint degree M.Sc/DDS or PhD/DDS. I started an M.Sc program (Master of Science in Dental Sciences) 1 year prior to commencing my DMD. I was interested in pursuing that degree because 1) future possibilities in post graduate programs/specialties (if I ever set my mind on one) 2) possible employment in academia on a part time basis 3) intellectual curiousity/challenge.

In order to teach at the university level (not as an attending but giving lectures/classes ) , from what I understand, one has to at least possess a master's degree or be certified in a specialty. Another perk about possessing a master's degree in Dental Sciences/Oral Biology is that if you pursue a specialty, you are not required to do the extra year to write up a thesis.

Nothing you learn is ever a waste of time! :) Eventually everything you learn will be applied in some form or another. :clap: I have no regrets about any of the research endeavors I have undertaken over the years. I may not be fully fledged in research at the moment, but at least I have a possibility of being involved in academia somewhere down the road . I personally love the clinical aspect of dentistry and don't have any regrets about the paths I have followed. :D

If you don't want to undertake an M.Sc or Ph.D , I believe most dental schools offer research opportunities during the summer season .

Good luck with your future endeavors!
:luck: