Research and Residency

Started by CT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CT

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MSI and have started to think about what I will do this summer. I am interested in going on an internation service trip and opportunities are available for this. However, in talking with other upperclassmen who are also interested in surgery, many took the time to do research. I was wanting to get your opinion as to how valuable research would be for me and as to how necessary it is for (let's say general surgery) applications. I do not have any research experience so far and don't know if this will end up being a disadvantage. Thanks.
 
Do whatever you find interesting and will make you happy. I went to Guatemala, learned Spanish, and worked in rural public health projects, yet somehow managed to end up at a "top 5" (whatever that means) general surgery program. I did one piddly little chart review-type project my 4th year, but that's the sum total of my research experience. I don't regret my decision to avoid the lab one bit.