Research and specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trigon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm a second year student and was wondering how much research has an influence on specializing. I honestly have no idea if specialization is something I want to do, but I am keeping my options open until I can decide if I'd like to pursue a specialty after working through different rotations in my third year. I do research in a field that is completely unrelated to any currently existing specialty programs (population-based studies). Is it a detriment to applying having not done research within a given speciality when looking to apply? When is too late to decide upon specialty programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm a second year student and was wondering how much research has an influence on specializing. I honestly have no idea if specialization is something I want to do, but I am keeping my options open until I can decide if I'd like to pursue a specialty after working through different rotations in my third year. I do research in a field that is completely unrelated to any currently existing specialty programs (population-based studies). Is it a detriment to applying having not done research within a given speciality when looking to apply? When is too late to decide upon specialty programs?

Research will only help your application so I would do it as long as you don’t jeopardize your class rank and board scores (ie CBSE, ADAT, GRE,...). I’d recommend shadowing and figuring out what you want to specialize in sooner rather than later. This would allow you to do research in your field of interest. Knowing what you want to specialize in only benefits you and will make you a stronger applicant!

With that being said. Many students still match to specialty programs with no research.