Research as a foreign student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

agranulocytosis

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how one can go about obtaining research opportunities as a foreign medical student. I have been researching on how to do away rotations (we call them simply electives) and most hospitals do not allow non-LCME certified medical school students to participate, and I get the feeling that research will be the same way.

Simply put: would my chances of doing research be better if I contact a hospital and ask to participate in some clinical research or through a place like NIH or HHMI?
 
I am at my wit's end trying to find a place that can accept me. Every single year-off program requires participants to be US medical students, and I have read that clinical research electives offer minimal research exposure. I would really like to engage in something a little more useful and really learn something useful through my own efforts.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
i am finding the exact same problem.
being a foreign student, i have so far seen about 3 med schools so far and they accept only US medical students.
however, my friend studying with in my college, a year senior to me did his elexctive in the US at Hopkins.
So it should be possible.