Research as a requirement for Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I will be applying to optometry schools this coming summer (SUNY is my top choice; i am also applying to PCO, New England College of Optometry, and MCPHS). I did a lot of shadowing over this past summer, in different Optometry settings (about 100 hours), as well as volunteered at a hospital. However, I have not done any undergraduate research. I was wondering if this is something that is required by optometry schools? I have not seen anything mentioning research as a requirement for admission on any of the optometry websites, but just wanted to double check! Are the shadowing & volunteering I did enough? I don't really want to do anything else this upcoming summer as i will be studying/ taking the OAT & applying to schools! thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Research is not a requirement I have seen anywhere.

I did some research for a bio lab at my undergrad, but I don't think it's necessary. I've had friends who've gotten in just fine without a research position