Research as a requirement for Optometry?

Started by JAB1215
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JAB1215

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everyone,

I will be applying to optometry schools this coming summer (SUNY is my top choice; i am also applying to PCO, New England College of Optometry, and MCPHS). I did a lot of shadowing over this past summer, in different Optometry settings (about 100 hours), as well as volunteered at a hospital. However, I have not done any undergraduate research. I was wondering if this is something that is required by optometry schools? I have not seen anything mentioning research as a requirement for admission on any of the optometry websites, but just wanted to double check! Are the shadowing & volunteering I did enough? I don't really want to do anything else this upcoming summer as i will be studying/ taking the OAT & applying to schools! thanks!!!
 
I did some research for a bio lab at my undergrad, but I don't think it's necessary. I've had friends who've gotten in just fine without a research position