research at Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about research opportunities available at Utah. I am looking for a place where I can do a combined AP/CP residency and then a postdoctoral research fellowship. I emailed them and basically got a "I don't know" in response, which I thought was sort of a bad sign in terms of my goals.

I declined interviews at some of the traditional big research programs like BWH, MGH, and UCSF. I am starting to think that was a stupid thing to do. :oops:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

beary said:
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about research opportunities available at Utah. I am looking for a place where I can do a combined AP/CP residency and then a postdoctoral research fellowship. I emailed them and basically got a "I don't know" in response, which I thought was sort of a bad sign in terms of my goals.
Whom did you email? The reason I ask is that program coordinators aren't necessarily the best sources of info about research opportunities. If you visit (or talk to faculty) you may get a more accurate picture.

deschutes said:
Whom did you email? The reason I ask is that program coordinators aren't necessarily the best sources of info about research opportunities. If you visit (or talk to faculty) you may get a more accurate picture.

I emailed the PD. You are definitely right about visiting giving me a more accurate picture. I guess I was just trying to find out because I know I am looking for a place where I can do a residency and postdoc, and if I can't do that an institution, I would rather save time, both mine and theirs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing nothing else about the program/institution and not very much about postdocs , I have to ask - what does choosing a postdoc location depend on?

On a somewhat related note - if you are visiting here, did you ask about the research track at UMN? It's not well-publicized, which is really too bad. I'm sure the program coordinator would be able to get you information about it if you were interested.

deschutes said:
Knowing nothing else about the program/institution and not very much about postdocs , I have to ask - what does choosing a postdoc location depend on?

Basically, I am looking for two things: 1) lots of research opportunities (i.e. an established research record and good mentors), and 2) a few years of guaranteed funding at the PGY level until I can get my own grants. Basically I am looking for a place that has some sort of mechanism to help me transition between path residency and being an assistant professor.

I basically decided though that location/lifestyle were pretty important factors to me, so I eliminated NY, California, and Boston, simply because I didn't want to live there, and I felt like there were plenty of other places that offered a strong research environment.

deschutes said:
On a somewhat related note - if you are visiting here, did you ask about the research track at UMN? It's not well-publicized, which is really too bad. I'm sure the program coordinator would be able to get you information about it if you were interested.

I do know about the research track at UMN! There is quite a bit of information about it on your program's website. And I talked about it with the PD when he called to offer me an interview. That is one of the main things that attracted me there - plus it is in the midwest, plus your propaganda. ;)

I am impressed that you declined such big name programs. However, I completely understand. I declined a great program today for the first time today (incidently its located in the midwest) and I was a little scared to do it. However, since I have no desire to live in the midwest, I knew I shouldn't spend the money on flying there -- so I completely understand how you feel. However, since doing post-doc may involve funding from the program, you probably should be certain that the program is willing to provide those funds. I know that Stanford and UCSF have that option and I am sure there are others out there.

miko2005 said:
I am impressed that you declined such big name programs.

You certainly shouldn't be impressed - I am starting to think it was really dumb! :oops:

miko2005 said:
However, since doing post-doc may involve funding from the program, you probably should be certain that the program is willing to provide those funds. I know that Stanford and UCSF have that option and I am sure there are others out there.

Definitely. I have only done two interviews so far (Wash U and Iowa), and both those programs were willing to provide funds - and at any lab on campus! Several other places I am going provide these funds as well for sure (UTSW, UChicago, UVA, Minnesota, I think Michigan) so fortunately these opportunities are out there.

Hey Beary - Definitely talk to the chair (as opposed to the PD) about this when you interview there. He is supposedly really trying to bring in research oriented residents and I'm sure he would welcome questions about funding from someone who is serious about research such as yourself. My impression from when I interviewed there was that the PD wouldn't necessarily have the information you're looking for, but of course it wouldn't hur to ask her as well. But if anyone is gonna promise you money you'd rather it be someone who can back it up - i.e da chair. Good luck.