Research Based Therapy for Autism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzyQ1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a school-based Speech-Language Pathologist servicing students with
ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Is there any research based therapy that you have found to be successful in developing verbal speech for students who are non-verbal, and functioning well below developmental norms. I have a student who is only "whispering" a few words. They are barely audible. I need some suggestions for oral motor awareness and strategies to bring some audible verbal communication into being.
At present I am concentrating on oral-motor awareness at the basic level.
( bubbles, blowing, range of motion for tongue, lip closure, etc.)
Please write if you have worked with students with similar disability.
Thank you.:):)

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting topic....though I don't have much to contribute, sorry! I know applied behavioral analysis can be used when working with someone along th autism spectrum, and it can be applied to elicit a number of responses. I'd assume verbal responses can be explored and reinforced.

Do you have access to online databases of journals? A few key word searches would probably turn up some interesting stuff.

-t

Have you tried using one of those little finger vibrators? I have a very low functioning expressively delayed pt right now and it really seems to bring awareness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and mirror work seems to work well....some kids just get fixated on it. I don't know your child so Im just throwin stuff out there! haha

Good luck, though....let me know when you find something that really seems to work!

Thank you for your comments. ABA seems to be the most popular form of therapeutic intervention at this time. I am not a great fan of this method of therapy, as it does not generalize to real life situations. Thanks again.

Thank you for your comments. What is, and where do you purchase a finger vibrator? I will research, and see if this is a possible stimulation Tx appropriate for my student. Thank you again.

Thank you for your comments. ABA seems to be the most popular form of therapeutic intervention at this time. I am not a great fan of this method of therapy, as it does not generalize to real life situations. Thanks again.

Glad I could help. I am not really a fan of behavioral work (though I have done a bit of research that used some behavioral interventions), though it has shown to be effective where other methods have fallen short with this particular population. With that being said, you are correct in having a gap in how it generalizes to real life. I think with th right work there can be a connection, but it can be such a time consuming process that I'm not sure it is a viable option for many.

I'd be curious to see if you could implement a modified token economy system. Very basic stuff like rewarding for a sound, and increasing the reward for a louder and/or directed sound. It would take some time to implement, but if you can find the right kind of reward, it may be worth a shot.

Best of luck.

-t