Research before starting internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarbingerKing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched into a categorical IM residency at a local pseudo-academic community program. This was by no means my top choice; I was aiming for a big-name university program as I am interested in GI fellowship. While there is a decent GI fellowship at this institution and they take a good number of their own residents, I know I'm going to have an uphill battle if I want to be a competitive applicant 3 years from now. Research will be a must, obviously.

I'm thinking about reaching out to find a mentor at my new institution to get started on research early, during my time off before July 1. Has anyone done this/heard of doing this? I know everyone is going to tell me to "calm down and enjoy this time" but my school gives us a ridiculous amount of time off (5 months) and I'm pretty sure I won't regret investing a few hours a week in a research project. Thoughts? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Relax and enjoy the time off, but the earlier you start the better. However, you run the risk of being an overzealous underperforming M4, if you don't have a research background .

I recently matched into a categorical IM residency at a local pseudo-academic community program. This was by no means my top choice; I was aiming for a big-name university program as I am interested in GI fellowship. While there is a decent GI fellowship at this institution and they take a good number of their own residents, I know I'm going to have an uphill battle if I want to be a competitive applicant 3 years from now. Research will be a must, obviously.

I'm thinking about reaching out to find a mentor at my new institution to get started on research early, during my time off before July 1. Has anyone done this/heard of doing this? I know everyone is going to tell me to "calm down and enjoy this time" but my school gives us a ridiculous amount of time off (5 months) and I'm pretty sure I won't regret investing a few hours a week in a research project. Thoughts? Advice?

Calm down and enjoy this time.

If you want to do so, try to get something done during your time off. I'd recommend against having a project that you'd have to continue when residency actually starts.