Research block - should I do Basic Science or Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a research block coming up where I have a chance to do basic science research or clinical research. I know there are pros and cons in terms of time, effort,ect but I was wondering, from a purely IM programs view - which is viewed in a more favorable light? Which would look better on my CV when it comes application time?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The two most important factors:
1. Do the one you are more interested in. When you are asked about your research on interviews you want to sound excited, enthusiastic, and interested. You don't want to give the impression: I did this to beef up my CV...even if that is true.
2. Do the one with the most likelihood of you getting your name on a poster/abstract/paper... Almost anyone can have a ton of "research experiences." What sets you apart is having something to show for it.

The two most important factors:
1. Do the one you are more interested in. When you are asked about your research on interviews you want to sound excited, enthusiastic, and interested. You don't want to give the impression: I did this to beef up my CV...even if that is true.
2. Do the one with the most likelihood of you getting your name on a poster/abstract/paper... Almost anyone can have a ton of "research experiences." What sets you apart is having something to show for it.

+1

Do what interests you but point #2 is really important too. Unless you have a Sarnoff/DD/HHMI to throw onto your resume, you should have something tangible to show for your research otherwise most programs will just gloss over whatever you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Do what interests you but point #2 is really important too. Unless you have a Sarnoff/DD/HHMI to throw onto your resume, you should have something tangible to show for your research otherwise most programs will just gloss over whatever you do.

I'm assuming your research block isn't like 6 months. Unless you have done a ton of basic research in the past and are incredibly efficient, you're going to have a hard time getting anything together for publication. Do the clinical research.

Pick the one you like best.

The upside to clinical research is that, once your month is over, you can continue to work on it relatively easily from home and while on other rotations. Basic science will take more time at the bench. But if you have good bench chops, a very well defined project, and 3-4 months to do it, the basic science will be fine too.

I'm assuming your research block isn't like 6 months. Unless you have done a ton of basic research in the past and are incredibly efficient, you're going to have a hard time getting anything together for publication. Do the clinical research.

In terms of this, my possible lab PI has told me I could get my names as a middle author on 1-2 papers in basic science over this 3 month block. Would that be valued "more" than 2-3 earlier authorship clinical projects? I like both projects and would be happy in either.

In terms of this, my possible lab PI has told me I could get my names as a middle author on 1-2 papers in basic science over this 3 month block. Would that be valued "more" than 2-3 earlier authorship clinical projects? I like both projects and would be happy in either.

Then just pick one.

There are no guarantees on publications.

If you're not first or senior author, you're a middle author (2nd, 3rd, 96th...it doesn't matter).

Pubs are pubs. A first author Nature or NEJM paper will be valued more than a 4th author pub in a random online-only journal but that will still be better than no pubs.

Do whichever will make you happier while it's happening. Everything else is gravy.