research career options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Careercompass

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like some advise/direction with regards to pursuing a career in research. I want to start somewhere...just reluctant to starting something and not liking it or it not being the right path towards my interests. I graduated with a Bachelor of science in biopharmaceuticals...since then, I haven't worked, and am currently a single mom. I am dedicated to start my career again, just don't know which door to knock, or where to start!
I was considering doing an online MPH as a start...but looking online at all the courses, it all seems like data analysis and biostatistics... what would my job be at the end.
I am interested in starting in positions having to do with research assistant etc. Particularly Oncology research, or naturopathic medicine.
Reading more about research assistant, I ran into the realm of CRA's and clinical research certification... can someone please advise me on the main differences in career (path differences, jobs available, family-life balance with kids, etc)
I am also very interested in alterative medicine (CAM)/naturopathic medicine, and figured, a MPH can also act as a good pivot...what can I do in that sector with a MPH degree? Is there anyway I can still get into the research part before getting a MPH? can I get some Research Organization to fund my MPH?
I get the feeling that investing in the MPH currently is better than random CRA courses...like I read that Michener or other online providers have courses for CRA certification and such, but since I am not that clear on that career in general(what my role would be, and how doable it is with kids)...I'm not sure that is the right path to start...and perhaps a MPH would be more encompassing/offer more opportunity...
What other options are there that I haven't thought of?!
I would highly appreciate some guidance to get me on the right foot here!