Research & Credit for multiple semesters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll continue my research this semester and earn a credit for doing so. Last semester, I did the same and the course name and number is the same. My worry is, when ADEA looks at my grades, will they think that I retook a course and take the average of the two grades?

Needlessly to say, I will not be "retaking" anything. It's just that rather than getting paid, I would be getting a credit for doing research.

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll continue my research this semester and earn a credit for doing so. Last semester, I did the same and the course name and number is the same. My worry is, when ADEA looks at my grades, will they think that I retook a course and take the average of the two grades?

Needlessly to say, I will not be "retaking" anything. It's just that rather than getting paid, I would be getting a credit for doing research.

Thanks for the help!!

This happens often. Schools are used to it. Also, ADEA has nothing to do with anything. It's all about schools. What is the name of the class? It should be something like "RESEARCH"

Also, remember that there's a particular spot you're supposed to mark if you're retaking a class - and you wouldn't mark that in the case of research. I know it definitely went a long way towards buffering out one or two not so hot grades that I got, but also a very worthwhile experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 10 credits of A's across 3 semesters of LFSCI 494R (research) but ADEA counted them all as separate courses, not as repeats. As long as you don't check the box that indicates it is a repeated course, you'll be fine.

I had 10 credits of A's across 3 semesters of LFSCI 494R (research) but ADEA counted them all as separate courses, not as repeats. As long as you don't check the box that indicates it is a repeated course, you'll be fine.

Gbrando2 you go to BYU?

Also, you could possibly get the same credit but under a different course number. For example at BYU LFSCI 494R, MMBIO 494R, ...

I'm wondering if I should take more research to pad my science GPA just take some additional upper division classes schools like to see.

Gbrando2 you go to BYU?

Also, you could possibly get the same credit but under a different course number. For example at BYU LFSCI 494R, MMBIO 494R, ...

I'm wondering if I should take more research to pad my science GPA just take some additional upper division classes schools like to see.

Yup I did, just graduated in April. Go Cougs! Anyway, as a Bio major, you can't take the alternate courses (PDBIO 494R, MMBIO 494R, etc.). They will only give credit for LFSCI 494R so that's the one I had to take.

Schools like to see that you have research experience, plus it's a guaranteed A as long as you show up. I would recommend 2 or 3 credits of research per semester, along with the standard upper division classes (Biochem, cell bio, pathophys, etc.). That way you get a nice mixture of GPA-padding research experience and the upper division science classes.