Research during Academic Year = Commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am working in a biology research lab this summer, but I intend to leave in August because my GPA is always and always has been my 100% focus. I am a rising sophomore, and if I continue doing 4 months of research during each summer (after sophomore and junior years too), does that show a lack of commitment to research?

I want to avoid at all costs doing research during the academic year because I know that I would get too absorbed in it. I ask because I am aiming for a top ~30 school (per US News), and I know all of these schools are research institutions. By the way, my clinical stuff is pretty good already (4 years of hospital volunteering, EMS, shadowing, etc), so would they label me as a student primarily interested in primary care schools?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to stop doing the research after doing so much over the summer? I think getting to continue a project through the academic year really helps build on the work you've done over the summer. That way, when the next summer rolls around, you've got so much to work with!

Professors realize and understand that students have classes during the academic year, and so won't expect the same level of work that you've been doing over the summer.

Sorry, I realize I didn't actually answer your questions, but I just wanted to drop my opinions. Good luck.

Trust me, its not as bad as you think! I just finished my sophomore year, took all the "normal" premed sophomore classes, volunteered at a hospital 4hrs/week, did about 12hrs of research a week, and scraped away with 3.94 my first quarter and 4.0 the next two. If you are focused into getting into a top 30 med school as you say, you shouldn't let this bother you.

Research is really valuable - you can get so much out of it, even if it is pure bench work. You'll also be able to build a relationship with your PI which will be EXTREMELY helpful in the long run (letters and publications), especially if you are doing research with him/her at your university's medical school.

Lastly, regarding the US news ranking. Have a look at primary care rather than research - some schools are extremely heavy on research but are weaker in Primary Care. I feel the better assessment should be looked at primary care as this shows the kind of doctors they foster. Your clinical experience sounds solid, but try balance it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
umh when you say you have 4 years of hospital volunteering is that volunteering from high school that you've continued in your freshman year and up to your sophomore year? i just want to make sure you understand that volunteering that you did during your high school years doesn't count.

umh when you say you have 4 years of hospital volunteering is that volunteering from high school that you've continued in your freshman year and up to your sophomore year? i just want to make sure you understand that volunteering that you did during your high school years doesn't count.

that's not true, the vast majority of my clinical volunteering was during hs, I never got asked a single question about it and some interviewers commented that I had a lot of clinical experience.

It does count. You can count anything in high school if you continued into college, especially if you "move up the ranks," which I did in my hospital. So yeah by the time I apply, I will have 6 years of volunteer work at that hospital (and some at other hospitals). That's what I saying---my clinical work will always outweigh my research work, so the top research schools might view me as a primary care student.

that's not true, the vast majority of my clinical volunteering was during hs, I never got asked a single question about it and some interviewers commented that I had a lot of clinical experience.

Wow, I did not know this. :thumbup:

It does count. You can count anything in high school if you continued into college, especially if you "move up the ranks," which I did in my hospital. So yeah by the time I apply, I will have 6 years of volunteer work at that hospital (and some at other hospitals). That's what I saying---my clinical work will always outweigh my research work, so the top research schools might view me as a primary care student.

Don't worry, you'll never be accused of having too much clinical experience. That said, I think it'd be in your best interest to continue your research project during the school year, just make it clear your schoolwork comes first.

Would it look bad though if I quit after the summer, and if I did this same thing three summers in a row?

Would it look bad though if I quit after the summer, and if I did this same thing three summers in a row?

Lets put it this way: I'd rather see commitment to one project for a year (two would be great!) than someone who worked eight weeks in the summer on three different projects.