Research During M1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question asked by docmeni on another thread, but I have the same question:

Is there time to get involved with research during your M1 year? Is this school-dependent? How many hours/week is good to start with? Should we expect pay?

My M1 year will be P/F for the firs semester and H/P/F for the second semester, so I am curious if I should be concentrating more on school and skip research all together. I'm also researching the summer before M1 and summer between M1 and M2 for a senior thesis project. I still would love to do a long-term research thing throughout the schoolyear though!

Members don't see this ad.

bump if anyone have advice on this! :)

bumping again for advice :) If anyone has done research during their M1 year or knows someone who has, I'd really appreciate info! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
any medschool will be an adjustment at first. most med students who do research do all or most of it between m1 and m2 like you are planning to do. (some may return to it during research electives in year 4). when you get the hang of things classwise, you can always look for a lab to work in during m1. if that doesn't happen and you start in the summer than that's totally fine.

Wait til you get there and see how it is for you at your school. We don't know what kind of student you are or what school you are going to or what opportunities might be available...that is likely why noone has answered you. Some people do research. Some don't. Some get paid. Others don't. Some spend many hours each week. Others don't. That's about the size of it.

I did research in the 2nd half of my first year and continued through the summer. Did a little bit more during the 2nd year (on a different project). Our school then gives us several months of dedicated research time during 3rd year. I was not paid for any of this research although I got a nice trip out of the first deal...and some textbooks.