1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Research during medschool

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Woatalk, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Woatalk

Woatalk Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello,
    I am starting med school this fall and was wondering if you guys (whether considering a medical specialty or not) could explain what type of research med students tend to participate in during school, as well as in the summer after 1st year. Specifically, do most students tend to do basic science research or more clinically focused research.Which one (basic science vs. clinical) do residencies look more favorably upon? The thing is I have been doing Neuroscience research at my undergrad for 4 years now (with a few co-authorships) and truly enjoy the work, and would like to perhaps come back during summer to conduct research there. However, I am unsure as to how it would affect my chances of getting into a competitive specialty,if I end up choosing to apply to such residencies.I'll greatly appreciate any advice you guys may have. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the quality of the work you do is more important than whether you choose to do basic or clinical research. It may also depend on the field you are applying to, and what are the hot research topics. It doesn't hurt to do some work relevant or indirectly related to your field of interest.

Clinical work is the easiest to get involved in during med school. I know some folks doing basic science.... but many of them have had a lot of prior experience, took time off during med school to do research, work a lot harder than the folks doing clinical work, etc.

I did only clinical work in med school.... mostly because I don't really enjoy the lab. Interviewers were still very interested in my work, even though it was only clinical. If you plan on an academic career, doing some basic science definitely wouldn't hurt.

4. Woatalk

Woatalk Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks BD!