Dr.Toothenstein

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I have taken two courses; one from the biology department (in particular helped with a study on pepto bismol and its effect on microbes); and the other through the chemistry department (searching for new organic compounds). I received a grade for both of these courses but I was wondering if it would be appropriate to list it as research experience?

LizLemongrab

One Million Years Fun-geon!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Dentist
You can. I absolutely listed mine especially because they led to publications or at least manuscripts. That would be like NYUCD kids not listing their work on resumes because they did it through the school research programs for credit.

EDIT: holy skagsuck, I should go to bed because my writing has turned into garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr.Toothenstein

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You can. I absolutely listed mine especially they also lead to publications or at least manuscripts. That would be like NYUCD kids not listing their work on resumes because they did it through the school research programs for credit.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Dr. Toothenstein, but I was also curious about this question too. I was in a semester long research course in which we were put into small groups (3-4 people), did literature searches, designed our own experiment, recruited 50+ people, collected data, analyzed said data, and wrote a complete manuscript out of it. Findings were later presented at a research colloquium/symposium. Nothing was ever published though, and it was a course all psych majors had to take (small school though so it's not like 100s of students do this every year). It was a very involved class that included everything real research requires, right down to creating the consent forms and gaining permission from the college IRB. Would this be considered research experience? I didn't think so at first and thought it was a mighty stretch because it was through a course, but when you mentioned manuscripts, I'm having second thoughts.

LizLemongrab

One Million Years Fun-geon!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Dentist
Not all research gets published, especially if you don't get precioussss significance or if your department doesn't really want to push anyone to do it because some journals actually charge you for both printed and electronic pages plus color figures. You went through all the proper steps and made something, that's great. I'm pretty sure it counts.

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Not all research gets published, especially if you don't get precioussss significance or if your department doesn't really want to push anyone to do it because some journals actually charge you for both printed and electronic pages plus color figures. You went through all the proper steps and made something, that's great. I'm pretty sure it counts.
Thanks for your input :)

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Research isn't as important for dental school admissions as it is for med schools so keep that in mind too. You are both fine with what you have unless you only want to go to Harvard. :)

Reactions: okiedokeartichoke

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
If bismuth subsal is effective on the oral flora, you may have something.

Reactions: XZeRO