• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Research Experience Question

reb21199

Apr 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me. I'm currently working on my experience sections for my med school applications and I want to know if some of the small projects I have done in my undergrad through my classes count as research experience.
1. My freshman year I spent a semester researching the philosophical foundations of the Hippocratic Oath for a first year experience course. We did other things in the class and worked on the research projects on our own outside of class. (I presented my paper at a symposium so I'm including that under presentations).
2. I took part in the SWI project as part of a microbio lab. I isolated bacteria from top soil, sequenced a colonies DNA, and tested the colony to see if it produced effective antibiotics.
3. I researched and wrote a paper on the metabolic rates of mice and how that related to their mass.

I didn't publish any official papers for this stuff, but it they were definitely more involved than a lab report. I'm just curious to see if these small projects are worth adding to my application. Thank you in advance!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
They sound legit experiences to me, particularly #2 which is a layup as far as counting it towards research.

#1 may best exist as a presentation, I agree. and #3 may or may not count. Tell me more about it. Was it a thesis paper (yes) or a class research paper (perhaps not) or something in between?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

reb21199

Apr 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for your response! The mouse research probably falls along the lines of a class research project. I spent 3 days collecting respiration rates of mice that weighed different masses (like we grouped them big vs small mice if that makes sense) at different temperatures and then I compared the masses to the respiration rates in order to find the lower critical temperature for each mass group and the scale at which metabolic rate changed as the mass increased. Honestly, I didn't get much out of it, but I figured if I would just group all three experiences under one research entry because they were very small projects.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.