Research experience vs My research interest??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlatoPsychology

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of preparing my application for Counseling psych programs for Fall 2019.

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad, and I have a decent amount of research experience.

As I was writing my personal statement, I realized all of my research experience guided me to narrow down my own research interest, but it does't necessarily relate to my own research interest.

For an example, I have solid research experience with experimental psychology along with some educational research background, but I am interested in family dynamics in at-risk students.

Would this be a "problem" in my personal statement when there is no direct tie between my experience and my actual interest?

Any suggestions on how I should lay this out on my personal statement??

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is ideal to do work as an undergrad in the area you are interested in. This is often not possible. Faculty who work in your area may not be at your university. We know this when we look at apps. The goal is for you to have developed research skills that generalize. You can do that in any lab. If you are part of research products, it shows these skills. Make your statements reflect how what you have done has reinforced your ability to research and work within labs doing what you want. Demonstrate research methods knowledge and topical passion.

Reactions: 1 user
It is ideal to do work as an undergrad in the area you are interested in. This is often not possible. Faculty who work in your area may not be at your university. We know this when we look at apps. The goal is for you to have developed research skills that generalize. You can do that in any lab. If you are part of research products, it shows these skills. Make your statements reflect how what you have done has reinforced your ability to research and work within labs doing what you want. Demonstrate research methods knowledge and topical passion.

Thank you!

Also, if I have various research experience from different labs - would you suggest picking one, or two that was most significant rather than trying to write about all of them?

I worked in four different labs in the past two years and two of them I do have something that would be considered "significant product".

I'm getting two of my letters from the lab that I've been a long part of, and have significant "product" , and one with a faculty that I've been working for a while, but I don't have much "product" to talk about. But I would say this experience is the one that helped me to narrow down my interest the most.

I wasn't sure if I should be talking about the experience that is most relevant to my interest OR talk about the ones that I have "most product" from. What do you suggest?