Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisgood

the original
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how important research experience is to admin comms? I had to work to put myself thru school so I have ZERO research experience. Will that matter much or does my work experience (8 years at the same job) count as equally important?

Members don't see this ad.

lifeisgood said:
Does anyone know how important research experience is to admin comms? I had to work to put myself thru school so I have ZERO research experience. Will that matter much or does my work experience (8 years at the same job) count as equally important?

what type of job was it, if i may ask?

anyways, research is good but it is not important in my opinion. your stats will matter much more than research and extracurricular stuff. focus on them.

I did three years of extensive research in biochemistry projects and published more than once. It helped a little bit and I'm sure it looked good on the application, but my extracurriculars and service really generated much more interest from my interviewers than research. Honestly, most dentists do not want to spend time in a research lab (there are exceptions), and became dentists because of the human interaction. I had a vivid experience during one interview when I was asked to explain my research. I tried to describe it as intelligently and brief as I could, but I knew there was no way my interviewers could have understood half of what I said because of the specific background knowledge required. I asked if they wanted any clarification and they both shook their heads and said "no, please, we just wanted to see if you knew what you were talking about!"

Research won't hurt, but there are certainly other things that will boost your app. much more effectively to get into dental school. It is not that remarkable to get into dental school with no research at all, but try that with no shadowing or no extracurriculars and your chances are slim to none.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard to come by meaningful research as an undergrad...I did a small stint with rat brain stuff, only to realize that I was wasting my time. I wouldn't waste your time unless you really can get a good position doing something you are interested in. Most professors and grad students use undergrads as "grunts", and therefore I'd focus on more dental related activities and extracurriculars.

it varies, each schools value research differently. i do agree that reseach is secondary to your gpa,dat, and dental experience.

dexadental said:
It is hard to come by meaningful research as an undergrad...I did a small stint with rat brain stuff, only to realize that I was wasting my time. I wouldn't waste your time unless you really can get a good position doing something you are interested in. Most professors and grad students use undergrads as "grunts", and therefore I'd focus on more dental related activities and extracurriculars.

I would have to disagree. Professors and grad students use undergrads as grunts when the undergrad proves they are not competent to do real research. If you join a lab, but just show up everyday for 2-3 hours, then of course it is going to be hard to come by meaningful research. You really need to understand the project, read publications, and don't count on others in the lab to show you how to do everything--learn from your mistakes and move on.

fightingspirit said:
what type of job was it, if i may ask?

anyways, research is good but it is not important in my opinion. your stats will matter much more than research and extracurricular stuff. focus on them.

I work for a water damage restoration company and have done almost everything, from b*tch work to sales to management. My boss is a very intelligent businessman and I have learned a lot from him.

dexadental said:
...I wouldn't waste your time unless you really can get a good position doing something you are interested in....

I've already graduated and there is no way in hell I plan on getting into research now. :barf: I'd rather just read journals about stuff I'm interested in. :)

I do research now concerning fluorosis and we use zebra fish as a human model. We also use them for research on craniofacial defects. Quite interesting. I say that if you can and it revolves around dental or the craniofacial region then go for it. Don't just grab anything that comes your way. I don't think research on foot fungus for example will help much in dental school lol.

you have a close to a 4.0 GPA...i don't think dental schools would worry about your research resume. Just score 20+ on the DAT and you can get in almost any school in the country.

lifeisgood said:
I believe research is completely different than a job.

amartins02 said:
I do research now concerning fluorosis and we use zebra fish as a human model. We also use them for research on craniofacial defects. Quite interesting. I say that if you can and it revolves around dental or the craniofacial region then go for it. Don't just grab anything that comes your way. I don't think research on foot fungus for example will help much in dental school lol.[/QUOTE

Any research looks good as long as you have something to show for it. A publication or abstract, or even a poster presentation looks good. Regardless of the area of interest. Zebra fish as an animal model, sounds like fun. I would rather work with fish than rats. :laugh:

Lefty7 said:
I did three years of extensive research in biochemistry projects and published more than once. It helped a little bit and I'm sure it looked good on the application, but my extracurriculars and service really generated much more interest from my interviewers than research. Honestly, most dentists do not want to spend time in a research lab (there are exceptions), and became dentists because of the human interaction. I had a vivid experience during one interview when I was asked to explain my research. I tried to describe it as intelligently and brief as I could, but I knew there was no way my interviewers could have understood half of what I said because of the specific background knowledge required. I asked if they wanted any clarification and they both shook their heads and said "no, please, we just wanted to see if you knew what you were talking about!"

Research won't hurt, but there are certainly other things that will boost your app. much more effectively to get into dental school. It is not that remarkable to get into dental school with no research at all, but try that with no shadowing or no extracurriculars and your chances are slim to none.

hey, what kind of extracurriculars are you guys talking about? can you give me specifics cuz I dun know what to do...tried the whole hospital thing but it sucked like hell!!

lifeisgood said:

Its not imperative to have research. If you work then put that down--nothing wrong with working to pay for your education. As a matter of fact, it shows positively that you can do both!

I am now going into clinical research as a volunteer at the main hospital in my area since I have zero research experience...I don't know if it would help much but just in case.

Uracil said:
I am now going into clinical research as a volunteer at the main hospital in my area since I have zero research experience...I don't know if it would help much but just in case.

Really this sounds something ideal for me....I am a undergrad with 2.5 years to go..I probably wouldn't be much help either (lacking upper division courses) ......How did you get this volunteer opportunity?
PM..me....Im really interested.

Thanks, FlossY :)

Uracil said:

Clinical research as a test subject?? hehe