Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

August2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an undergraduate student, I am wondering where are you supposed to get research experience? I know its important to have in order to get into grad school, but where are students supposed to go to get this experience? Are there specific courses that you should take or work in some institutions? Also, how are grad schools going to know whether you have or haven't had research experience? What exactly is research experience? I'm a little overwhelmed by all these requirements, if anyone can answer any of my questions, please respond, I'd truly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if by 4th year you haven't had research experience, it is too late? Even if your grades are excel;lent along with work & volunteer activities but no research experience... will that basically cut your chances of acceptance?

What I did was look up all the faculty's research interests and then email them and ask if they needed volunteers in their lab. Most will. Also, ask your advisor about it.
And you should definitely get experience...I believe it's weighted quite heavily!!
Grad schools will know by your transcript and what you write on your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are applying to Ph.D. programs, you will not get in if you don't have research experience, even with perfect GPA/ GREs. It's the most important part of your application. Psy.D. programs may be different, but my understanding is that they value research experience too. Most undergraduate schools have opportunities to work as a research assistant in a psychology lab for credit. Look for flyers advertising opportunities. Some may also have opportunities for work-study payment. If you go to a liberal arts college, the opportunities may be more limited. There may still be faculty to work with (if they do research). If not, look into neighboring universities. If you don't get experience by the time you graduate, take a year off and try to work full time as a paid research assistant somewhere.

The grad schools will know what research experience you have done because you will tell them. There will be a spot on the application to list your experience, and you may send a resume/CV with your application listing your experiences.

As an undergraduate student, I am wondering where are you supposed to get research experience? I know its important to have in order to get into grad school, but where are students supposed to go to get this experience? Are there specific courses that you should take or work in some institutions? Also, how are grad schools going to know whether you have or haven't had research experience? What exactly is research experience? I'm a little overwhelmed by all these requirements, if anyone can answer any of my questions, please respond, I'd truly appreciate it.

As an undergrad, the first thing I did was ask my advisor about research possibilities. She was able to set me up as a research assistant in her lab, collecting data for her phd and masters students. Because it was an animal lab, I collected data on their weight, food and water intake, things like that. I registered for the "Research in Psych" course so that I could get credit and a grade for my work. By senior year, she had funding so that I could run my own thesis.

One of the things you will need to address in your SOP is your research experience. Your level of involvement with the experiment will probably be clear from that alone.

As I post-bac student, I had a professor who I knew was doing research, but with little funding. I proposed an independent study and we've been clunking at it since. So I'm not getting paid (I have a full-time job) and we collect data when we can, and I do lit review during evenings/weekends in hopes of getting it published.

I didn't do this, but some apply for research assistant positions after school so that they can get this experience. I think if you do a search for that, there are a couple of threads about how to get a paid/volunteer position after school. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies! I just don't understand why you need research experience to get into an MA program... isn't that what the MA program is for? To get you doing research? How are you supposed to have research experience during undergrad when often, students are so busy focusing on grades, figuring out what to do after graduation, gathering applications, working, writing GRE's, etc.. I thought that its the MA program that's supposed to give you research experience.

Thanks for your replies! I just don't understand why you need research experience to get into an MA program... isn't that what the MA program is for? To get you doing research? How are you supposed to have research experience during undergrad when often, students are so busy focusing on grades, figuring out what to do after graduation, gathering applications, working, writing GRE's, etc.. I thought that its the MA program that's supposed to give you research experience.

I think we all presumed your ambitions were for PhD progs (you'd likely get your masters on the way to PhD, btw). As stated above, you need research exp for PhD progs. As for Terminal Master's Programs, I would imaging that research exp is similarly valued, though may not be as required. How can you fit research exp into your busy schedule? Trust me we've all been there, it can be difficult. There is hope: In many cases directed studies (working in a prof's lab) can be done for course credit. I earned 8 credits for the work I did in Psych labs during my FINAL semester. This worked out very well for me and it was much more interesting than taking additional courses. Are you a Senior this year or next? Good luck.

I also worked on a clinical research study for 3 semesters of undergrad. It is always good to talk with your professors, email people in the department, and network yourself. If someone doesn't have any positions or research for you, they may know someone who does.

There were also many graduate students who needed subjects for their research. Volunteering as a subject gave me good experience in what research was like, and also allowed me to introduce myself to those students who needed help recruiting subjects, entering data, etc. This can open doors...

This also helped in my case, in getting a job after I graduated. The supervisor I volunteered for helped me get my first job AND get into/prepared for my doctorate program (I skipped the terminal masters). I also got course credits, 3 per semester, that allowed me to take one less class - easing my workload overall.

Just a quick note for August; you said you were Canadian, right?-- At many schools in Canada, such as Western and York, you apply to the M.A. program out of undergrad with the expectation that if you make satisfactory progress you will continue on to the Ph.D. at the same school. These are NOT the terminal master's programs that Sorg is talking about (those exist mostly in the States and they're generally a little less competitive than Ph.D. programs). The M.A. programs at York and Western are just as competitive as Ph.D. programs, and unfortunately they WILL want you to have research experience. Are you interested in doing a Ph.D. eventually?

Sorry for the sidetrack. Now for my actual answer to your question: one of the best (and easiest!) ways to get research experience as an undergraduate is to do an Honours Thesis-- if you haven't done one and still can, I would definitely recommend it. It's also a great way to get to know a professor well, which is useful when you need letters of recommendation.

If you can't do a thesis, I would get into contact with professors or graduate students anyway and ask if they need volunteers to help with research in their lab. :)

I think we all presumed your ambitions were for PhD progs (you'd likely get your masters on the way to PhD, btw). As stated above, you need research exp for PhD progs. As for Terminal Master's Programs, I would imaging that research exp is similarly valued, though may not be as required. How can you fit research exp into your busy schedule? Trust me we've all been there, it can be difficult. There is hope: In many cases directed studies (working in a prof's lab) can be done for course credit. I earned 8 credits for the work I did in Psych labs during my FINAL semester. This worked out very well for me and it was much more interesting than taking additional courses. Are you a Senior this year or next? Good luck.

Some MA programs require it as a rule out for candidates.....it thins the herds. I would rather take someone with some research experience, so there isn't as large of a learning curve. I did 2+ years of research in undergrad, and it REALLY helped me understand what I was getting myself into if I pursued a graduate degree (not so much a terminal therapy-type MS).

As for PsyD's....it is still important (at balanced programs at least). I don't know anyone in my program that didn't have research experience before grad school.

-t

If I can jump on this thread:

What level of experience do you need? and how much? Do you need to have published several papers and presented posters to even be considered, or is it a combo of research experience and fit with a POI's work that is weighed the most heavily? (oh and also, does past research experience have to fit with what you'd like to be doing in grad school?)

sorry if this is a derail, I thought it in keeping with the original post...

I do wish this was something I knew when I looked into undergrad schools; alas, all I knew is I wanted away from my parents. Getting into grad school was the last thing I was thinking about as a senior in HS!

I was lucky my research methods was structured so that we would end up with research experience. I also was required to take two more research classes as a junior and a senior. I'll end up with four major research reports, some with a little more substance than others.

Another place to look is summer internships and scholars programs; I am doing one this summer.

And it never hurts to ask faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some MA programs require it as a rule out for candidates.....it thins the herds. I would rather take someone with some research experience, so there isn't as large of a learning curve. I did 2+ years of research in undergrad, and it REALLY helped me understand what I was getting myself into if I pursued a graduate degree (not so much a terminal therapy-type MS).

As for PsyD's....it is still important (at balanced programs at least). I don't know anyone in my program that didn't have research experience before grad school.

-t

yeah, many people who do research end up realising they hate it with a passion, so it's really important to get research experience to know if this is something you are serious about.

I didn't do an honor's thesis because I wanted to enjoy my senior year but I had plenty of research experience before I applied. good luck!

yeah, many people who do research end up realising they hate it with a passion, so it's really important to get research experience to know if this is something you are serious about.

:lol:

That too. I learned to appreciate research in undergrad, I learned to understand research in grad school, and I learned to apply the research in practice. I realized I prefer to be a consumer of research, but it first took me the experience of working with/conducting the research to know this. Research isn't for everyone, but if you go into this field...a serious dose of it should be required, so you can appreciate and really understand what it all means.

-t

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm in my 4th year & I've applied to some schools in Canada and recently went on an interview. The problem is, that at the interview they asked for research experience and I don't really know what that means. I didn't do a thesis course because back in 2nd year when I was choosing courses for 3rd year, I had different career plans (law school) so I was just basically focusing on grades. During my 3rd year, I decided that I'd prefer grad school instead but it was too late to take the appropriate course that's a prerequisite for the thesis course...ah I screwed myself. Anyways, I still decided to apply this year (4th year) just to see what responses I'd get. My grades are very good and I have volunteer experiences and even teaching experiences... but no research... but then again what IS research experience? Throughout my undergrad, I've done many comprehensive research papers and study proposals... isn't that RESEARCH? I haven't actually worked with real participants in a lab, but I've done research on many topics for my classes and came up with real potential research proposals, some for which I had to make up fictitious data and conduct a statistical analysis. Does this count as research?? I don't understand??

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm in my 4th year & I've applied to some schools in Canada and recently went on an interview. The problem is, that at the interview they asked for research experience and I don't really know what that means. I didn't do a thesis course because back in 2nd year when I was choosing courses for 3rd year, I had different career plans (law school) so I was just basically focusing on grades. During my 3rd year, I decided that I'd prefer grad school instead but it was too late to take the appropriate course that's a prerequisite for the thesis course...ah I screwed myself. Anyways, I still decided to apply this year (4th year) just to see what responses I'd get. My grades are very good and I have volunteer experiences and even teaching experiences... but no research... but then again what IS research experience? Throughout my undergrad, I've done many comprehensive research papers and study proposals... isn't that RESEARCH? I haven't actually worked with real participants in a lab, but I've done research on many topics for my classes and came up with real potential research proposals, some for which I had to make up fictitious data and conduct a statistical analysis. Does this count as research?? I don't understand??

Unfortunately, that's not really going to count as "research," and prettymuch everyone will have done those kinds of lit. reviews and lit. analysis. You can use some coursework to demonstrate your knowledge of analysis programs (in particular if you've run structural equation modeling or some other advanced analysis techniques). When they say research they mean doing a proposal, doing ethics forms, recruiting participants, administering a questionnaire or doing a manipulation and measuring effects, analyzing the data, and writing a major report (typically wiht the goal of publication).

I'm confused about where you're at in your program. You said you were in 4th year-- do you mean you just entered 4th year? What was the interview for-- did you apply to grad school last year?

If you're applying to schools in Canada, are you in the honours psych program? Your chances of getting into a Canadian grad school without an honours BA are significantly lower than if you had the honours. If you do research as part of an independent studies project you might better your chances. I'd also suggest you look into US schools, were not having the honours degree isn't a big deal (and you can get way better funding!)(but you still need the research exp!).

If things don't seem to be going well, keep in mind that options always exist. You might choose to delay your grad by a year and enroll in the honours program, or see if a prof would be willing to supervise a research project if you graduated and re-enrolled as a special student.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, that's not really going to count as "research," and prettymuch everyone will have done those kinds of lit. reviews and lit. analysis. You can use some coursework to demonstrate your knowledge of analysis programs (in particular if you've run structural equation modeling or some other advanced analysis techniques). When they say research they mean doing a proposal, doing ethics forms, recruiting participants, administering a questionnaire or doing a manipulation and measuring effects, analyzing the data, and writing a major report (typically wiht the goal of publication).

I'm confused about where you're at in your program. You said you were in 4th year-- do you mean you just entered 4th year? What was the interview for-- did you apply to grad school last year?

If you're applying to schools in Canada, are you in the honours psych program? Your chances of getting into a Canadian grad school without an honours BA are significantly lower than if you had the honours. If you do research as part of an independent studies project you might better your chances. I'd also suggest you look into US schools, were not having the honours degree isn't a big deal (and you can get way better funding!)(but you still need the research exp!).

If things don't seem to be going well, keep in mind that options always exist. You might choose to delay your grad by a year and enroll in the honours program, or see if a prof would be willing to supervise a research project if you graduated and re-enrolled as a special student.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Yes I just graduated from an honors program (HBSc.) and my interview was for a clinical psych program.. Unfortunately I guess my lack of research experience is killing my chances (thats basically what they told me at the interview). I had no idea that research was so important even though I have lots of volunteer and teaching experiences.
So I guess research projects throughout undergrad classes are not considered as "research"?

They really mean an entire project when they say research.... You have an honours degree? You must have done an honours thesis then, no?:confused:

As an undergrad, a lot of "research experience" is working with a prof/their grad students entering data, running subjects, reading papers, discussing them in lab meetings, coding, maybe some data analysis, lit reviews, etc. That is pretty much what I do.
A research methods course usually lets you learn about analysis and my research methods course was set up so that we had to design and carry out a project from beginning to end in a group:
think of hypothesis, design methods, write all the papers for the IRB, collect data with participants, enter data, analyze data, write a full APA style paper, make a poster, and present it at the student poster presentation night. And there's a chance it ends up as a poster at a real conference.
Then I am doing that next year (senior year) as an independent study/thesis..except by myself...again, with the hopes of it ending up as a real poster or something.
I think that's really the most research you can get as an undergrad unless you get a start on it really early working with a prof and end up with a publication--but that's rare.

As for MA programs, the ones I have looked at all weigh research experience heavily. I would still try to work in a professor's lab so that you can have some experience.

They really mean an entire project when they say research.... You have an honours degree? You must have done an honours thesis then, no?:confused:

Not necessarily. I am not in the honors program at my school so that would yield no honors thesis for me. However, I am doing basically what is an honors thesis under the title "Independent Study." And I will be doing all of the steps by myself. So even if you're not in the Honors program, I would imagine you school has something that could still yield the equivalent of an honors thesis??

I graduated from the University of Toronto and doing a thesis in your 4th year was an option, but not a requirement. The reason why I didn't do it is because a prerequisite to get into the thesis course is a 3rd year lab course that I also didn't do back in 3rd year (the reason for this is because back in 2nd year when I was picking courses for 3rd year I had different career goals in mind- law school). So in other words, my initial plan (law school) changed the courses I ended up taking in my senior years of undergrad.

I would suggest that Canadians intending on applying to Canadian schools be VERY careful about independent research projects. Many Canadian schools are quite adament that you have the little letters after your BA, and it can be difficult to get in without the actual *honours* degree. This was my experience during my first round of applications last year (I did an IS project and didn't do well in applications to Can. schools, and was told the non-hnrs was the prob... I delayed my grad one year, did an honours project, applied to mostly US schools, and did MUCH better) and the experience of several other people I know. US schools are far less picky about the type of BA.

As an undergrad, a lot of "research experience" is working with a prof/their grad students entering data, running subjects, reading papers, discussing them in lab meetings, coding, maybe some data analysis, lit reviews, etc. That is pretty much what I do.
A research methods course usually lets you learn about analysis and my research methods course was set up so that we had to design and carry out a project from beginning to end in a group:
think of hypothesis, design methods, write all the papers for the IRB, collect data with participants, enter data, analyze data, write a full APA style paper, make a poster, and present it at the student poster presentation night. And there's a chance it ends up as a poster at a real conference.
Then I am doing that next year (senior year) as an independent study/thesis..except by myself...again, with the hopes of it ending up as a real poster or something.
I think that's really the most research you can get as an undergrad unless you get a start on it really early working with a prof and end up with a publication--but that's rare.

As for MA programs, the ones I have looked at all weigh research experience heavily. I would still try to work in a professor's lab so that you can have some experience.

Thanks for the reply. Actually in my second year I took a Sociology Quantitative and Qualitative Research methods course where we had to conduct our own study (it was a field study, not experimental), code data, statistically analyze it and write up a research report. So does this qualify as research? Even though it was a field study not experimental? And it was sociology not psychology.. does that matter? The difference here is that we did not recruit participants (because it was an observational field study where we had to observe people's behaviors in different settings).

I graduated from the University of Toronto and doing a thesis in your 4th year was an option, but not a requirement. The reason why I didn't do it is because a prerequisite to get into the thesis course is a 3rd year lab course that I also didn't do back in 3rd year (the reason for this is because back in 2nd year when I was picking courses for 3rd year I had different career goals in mind- law school). So in other words, my initial plan (law school) changed the courses I ended up taking in my senior years of undergrad.

The research piece looks like it's what's really holding back your application. You have a lot of options open to you, however...

I strngly suggest that you talk to an academic advisor, both for your faculty and your dept. Find out especially about if you might swing special student status. This means you won't have to re-apply to University if you want to take more classes. You can take a gradute-level course or two, with prof. permission, to show that you're still into the coursework and you might be able to sign on with a prof to do a research project.

Ask profs you know, who do stuff you're interested in, if you might RA for them. This can open doors to projects this year or in the next (many students have 2+ yrs of research exp. when they apply.... it might be an two years, not one, to get your app. up there.

Hope that helps!

The research piece looks like it's what's really holding back your application. You have a lot of options open to you, however...

I strngly suggest that you talk to an academic advisor, both for your faculty and your dept. Find out especially about if you might swing special student status. This means you won't have to re-apply to University if you want to take more classes. You can take a gradute-level course or two, with prof. permission, to show that you're still into the coursework and you might be able to sign on with a prof to do a research project.

Ask profs you know, who do stuff you're interested in, if you might RA for them. This can open doors to projects this year or in the next (many students have 2+ yrs of research exp. when they apply.... it might be an two years, not one, to get your app. up there.

Hope that helps!

JockNerd- Thanks for the reply, you seem to be very knowledgeable about how this process works. Do you possible know the answer to this question??>> In my second year I took a Sociology Quantitative and Qualitative Research methods course where we had to conduct our own study (it was a field study, not experimental), code data, statistically analyze it and write up a research report. So does this qualify as research?? Even though it was a field study not experimental? And it was sociology not psychology.. does that matter? The difference here is that we did not recruit participants (because it was an observational field study where we had to observe people's behaviors in different settings).

I really appreciate your replies, and yes unfortunately due to my indecisive nature in terms of career plans, I may have to go back to undergrad and get more research experience. ALTHOUGH I got accepted to a Masters program in early Childhood Studies (I'm interested in child development) which WILL have a thesis requirement... do you think that completing this program will be a plus when re-applying to clinical psych next year?? The program is only 1 year and I got a full scholarship, so I'd love to take advantage of that rather then going back to undergrad.. What do you think??

For students in Canada, you MUST do the honours year - this is not open for debate.

Also, if possible do both an honours AND MA thesis -- it amazes me the # of schools that let you substitute courses for doing a thesis. If you want to license at the MA level and stop there, then do the course work. If you want a PhD, then do the thesis.

Look outside of psych departments for research opportunities. I've had wonderful experience with students from Public Health, Biology, Geology, etc. It's not necessarily about the content -- it's about the skills. As an entry level RA, if you already have database management skills you are ahead of many other entry level RAs. There is always someone on campus looking for an RA -- even if it is unpaid (remember, this is about the experience).

As for calling course work research experience -- I'd say that is a stretch....although you could say you developed skills of survey development, data coding, database management, and statistical analysis in XZY course.

August--

for the first part, I think this could be very likely swung into an example of research experience. If you collected data it can count. Projects where you fabricated data can be used as experience with analysis programs, and really nothing more. As for the second part, that looks like it could be a really good experience, espeically if it's what you want to go into.... but I'm not at all familair with the program and couldn't tell you for sure.... Is that Child Studies program at your school?

What I'd suggest you do is ask both an academic advisor at your school and a prof in clinical about the Childhood studies program (espcially if the prog is at your undergrad school). They can tell you much better than anyone on the board about whether doing that program will be a plus for your applications, especially if you give them some info on nature of the program.

Good luck!

Thank you SO MUCH for your replies, they really helped me understand this process. I e-mailed some intitutions hoping they'd take me as an RA volunteer if they have any positions available.

JockNerd- no the childhood studies program is not at my school (its actually at the school I want to get in to for clinical psych) but inquiring about whether it would actually be helpful is a good idea. Thank you and good luck in your future studies!!

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting but I just kind of want to reiterate what everyone has told you.

Class projects are not likely "really" research experience. Fabricating data to analyze for a class is definitely not research experience, though if you are good at more advanced stats stuff that is fantastic.(meaning SEM, HLM, etc. and not just mean/median/mode/frequency/SD like you typically do in undergrad)

I don't know if childhood studies is within a psych department, educ department, or what. I'd be careful if it is not in the psych department, especally if that is your top choice school, since you might get "funelled" down a different path.

Basically, when people say research experience, they mean have you worked in a lab with a professor. Any psych department at a major university, and many(most?) even at smaller colleges have SOMEONE doing research. If you have a good GPA and can come across as reasonably competent during an interview, few will object if you want to work for them for free;) Unfortunately you usually don't have the resources as an undergrad to truly take on a research project of a substantial enough size to really qualify as "research experience". Not to say it hasn't been done (some people even get grants through their schools or outside sources), but I think its exceedingly rare. Basically, these places want to know if you have worked in a lab with a professor.

Sounds like beyond that you are in great shape, so I think once you correct that you will be fine for getting into a master's program if not a PhD just yet. Best of luck!

Research as part of a class may or may not count. It depends on the program. You might need to spend time volunteering in a lab or doing independent research with a professor.

You know all those articles you read about? That's a result of research. ;)

As an undergrad, a lot of "research experience" is working with a prof/their grad students entering data, running subjects, reading papers, discussing them in lab meetings, coding, maybe some data analysis, lit reviews, etc.

There is a lot of good info on this thread and this segment from danz is worth elaborating . Some labs are more open to undergrad RA's assuming the aforementioned responsibilities and some want you strictly for data entry. While grunt work is part of the experience (e.g., paying your dues) for your time to be beneficial you should ask each professor if those types of advanced opportunities are available to undergrads. If not, in my opinion, its not worth it.

if what you are doing has the possibility of getting into a journal or being presented at some conference (even if it's only an honor's thesis, there's still a possibility for a poster) then it's research.

class projects or mock research usually do not count.

There is a lot of good info on this thread and this segment from danz is worth elaborating . Some labs are more open to undergrad RA's assuming the aforementioned responsibilities and some want you strictly for data entry. While grunt work is part of the experience (e.g., paying your dues) for your time to be beneficial you should ask each professor if those types of advanced opportunities are available to undergrads. If not, in my opinion, its not worth it.

Yeah, I know of some professors who want RAs JUST for data entry or JUST for sitting in a lab and coding 9 hours per week. I have been somewhat lucky in that the people I ended up doing research with were willing to let us do more than data entry. Make sure you work with a good prof too because these are the people who will be writing your letters of rec, saying that you worked in their lab and your responsibilities, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm actually starting a volunteer RA position tomorrow.. I guess it's a little late now though to put on my resume for admissions to an MA program for Fall 2007! lol.