Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradStudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to work on several different research projects or is it better to stick and focus on one main project? Also is it okay to work in two different labs at the same school? I think one of my problems is my research interests are not that focused so I am trying to get stuff in different places to kind of get a feel for everything but i'm not sure if this is a good or bad strategy. Also is it important as a first priority to do research at the master's program you attend if you attend one as I will be in the Fall or is it equally as valuable to do it in other settings such as hospitals etc. Sorry for all this rambling I just know research experience is very important but I'm just a little confused to I guess what counts as quality research experience vs. so so research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine to work undert different professors during undergrad. At the same time is usually not a problem, but their mighty occasiona;lly be an issue there for various reasons. Just ask. I worked in the same lab for 3 years in undergrad, but because it was heavily involved and wasn't just entering data, it wasnt a big deal. But generally, working under more than one during your undergrad years is advisable, since you get variety, helps narrow interests, and can make for good LORs.

It's fine to work undert different professors during undergrad. At the same time is usually not a problem, but their mighty occasiona;lly be an issue there for various reasons. Just ask. I worked in the same lab for 3 years in undergrad, but because it was heavily involved and wasn't just entering data, it wasnt a big deal. But generally, working under more than one during your undergrad years is advisable, since you get variety, helps narrow interests, and can make for good LORs.

What about in a Master's program?

Members don't see this ad :)

I started my research experience in May 2008. I have worked in 3 different labs on 5 or 6 different projects and I got into a PhD program straight from undergrad. So I guess you could say I pretty much got into grad school with less than one year of research experience. However, because I had so MUCH of it and did so much of the work, I got 2 interviews. Therefore, MY own opinion would be that as long as it's psychology related, it will actually be better to have more experience than less. Who would ever say "OOOH this is way too much experience." If they say anything like that you could always just say something to the effect of "Well, I'm just so interested in this field that whenever an opportunity presented itself I jumped at the chance." or "I was trying to get as involved as possible to narrow my focus." Admission committees like that sort of stuff. The program I will be attending was very impressed by the amount of experience I had and liked that it was very eclectic.

They like more "meaningful" experience, like the theoretical aspects, IRB and grant proposal writing, data analysis, presentations/publications, etc.