Research Experience!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a genetics research experience but it was during genetics lab course. The class was about gene mapping using drosophilas through crossing mutants and wildtypes and scoring the phenotypes of their generations. We had to do many crosses with different phenotyped mutants and some were sex-linked and some were autosomal so it was pretty complicated. So each group had to score at least 2000 flies.. Then, we had to individually write a research paper as the final project at the end of the class.
The class results/data were used for my professor's research project.
My question is:
1. Does this count as a research experience?

2. Does the interviewer ask what publication that I was involved in?? (actual name of science publication of my professor's research?)

3. Also, what other questions should I expect during the interview regarding my research experience???

Members don't see this ad.

was this part of the lab section of your genetics class? If yes, I personally would not call present it a big research experience unless what you did was beyond the usual lab activities in a typical genetics class.

Generally, whatever you do you should be prepared to answer

- why you did it
- what did you do
- what did you learn from it
- how has the experience influenced your future decision making

hope it helps

was this part of the lab section of your genetics class? If yes, I personally would not call present it a big research experience unless what you did was beyond the usual lab activities in a typical genetics class.

Generally, whatever you do you should be prepared to answer

- why you did it
- what did you do
- what did you learn from it
- how has the experience influenced your future decision making

hope it helps
It was not part of the lab section of your genetics class. It's a separate three credit course. Only doing labs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe research experience refers to conducting independent research, not as part of a course. Some universities offer academic credit for independent research, from what I understand, you took a lab course and as part of that course you did this project. I don't think this is what is generally recognized as research experience.

EDIT: As mentioned below, obviously if your name is listed as an author or if your name is listed in the acknowledgment section of the publication, then you should definitely count it and brag about it.

Last edited:
i would count research experience if it leads to a publication, and you're an author

I have a genetics research experience but it was during genetics lab course. The class was about gene mapping using drosophilas through crossing mutants and wildtypes and scoring the phenotypes of their generations. We had to do many crosses with different phenotyped mutants and some were sex-linked and some were autosomal so it was pretty complicated. So each group had to score at least 2000 flies.. Then, we had to individually write a research paper as the final project at the end of the class.
The class results/data were used for my professor's research project.
My question is:
1. Does this count as a research experience?

2. Does the interviewer ask what publication that I was involved in?? (actual name of science publication of my professor's research?)

3. Also, what other questions should I expect during the interview regarding my research experience???

this experience sounds like any other genetics lab courses that all of students who are applying to dental schools take.
this is not going to be counted as research experience as it is already listed under your pre-requisite as biology lab class.
it's more of laboratory class than a research experience and I would be careful wording it as a research experience.

this experience sounds like any other genetics lab courses that all of students who are applying to dental schools take.
this is not going to be counted as research experience as it is already listed under your pre-requisite as biology lab class.
it's more of laboratory class than a research experience and I would be careful wording it as a research experience.
Well the Genetics Lab Course is not a pre-requisite. Genetics course is.
It is a research experience because it is not only for the class itself but also the data collected were used for my professor's research.
Also, his actual research group is very relevant (pretty much same thing) to what I've done in this lab.
So what do you guys think...?

Whether the class you undertook is a prereq for your degree (or did you mean for dental school?) is irrelevant to the topic...To put it simply, classwork does not count as research experience! If you want research experience, go up to your professor and ask him/her if you can work on a project in their lab.

You and how many other students in the class contributed to the research project?

Personally, I wouldn't count it as a research experience either...usually they tend to mean for you to take the initiative and do research as an EXTRACURRICULAR, meaning outside of classes.

are you and those 20 classmates going to be on the author list?

I think the question that would solve this is, Was the entire point of the class to do this research, and that's all that was really done? If so, I'd say it would be within the realm of truth for you to say that this was a research experience, because you were part of this professors research group. At my undergrad we had a class called Bio 199, where you joined a professors research group and assisted with their research. And although I was able to publish two papers, most people who did this never were able to get their names on any published papers, but its still clearly research experience. Research doesn't have to be research that you do on your own, but if this research was only a part of the class, I think some schools might frown on it being on your application in the research experience section.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
20 people contributed to the research project.

When your professor publishes the article do send us the reference info. It is not often that one comes across articles that have 20+ contributors. It is sure to be among a collector's items.

When your professor publishes the article do send us the reference info. It is not often that one comes across articles that have 20+ contributors. It is sure to be among a collector's items.

Not everyone who contributes to research projects are on the authors lists, usually it's just the people who were the primary contributors, and not the research students sadly. :(

I feel like we've wasted way too much time on this issue. I think a good way to resolve this is for Jobe to contact his/her professor and ask them whether they can list the class project as research experience. When filling out the entry in the AADSAS application you have to include the name of the PI anyways, so its probably a good idea to ask your professor before listing their name in the application..

I think the question that would solve this is, Was the entire point of the class to do this research, and that's all that was really done? If so, I'd say it would be within the realm of truth for you to say that this was a research experience, because you were part of this professors research group. At my undergrad we had a class called Bio 199, where you joined a professors research group and assisted with their research. And although I was able to publish two papers, most people who did this never were able to get their names on any published papers, but its still clearly research experience. Research doesn't have to be research that you do on your own, but if this research was only a part of the class, I think some schools might frown on it being on your application in the research experience section.

Hope that helps!
Thank you viciper. The title of the course was Genetics Lab. However, the two main purpose of this lab was: 1. To understand how genetics work by actually doing the experiment (for students to learn) and 2. To help my professors research project. Even though it was not directly helping him with the research but what we have done will be mentioned in his project since the data we collected were used for his research. (Also, our name will not me mentioned in his research as authors)
What we have done for his class is VERY similar to his real research group.
So, I just believe I can mention this in the research section.
Well, I am not trying to lie or anything... those I explained above are truth.
If I tell my interviewer about stuff that I said above, do you think it will be plus or minus for getting accepted to school?

Well, you won't be asked about the specifics likely in your enrollment, but more like what the project was about, possible findings, etc. Like it was said above, be sure to get your Professor's approval before you put him down as the PI.

I think research experience counts as being involved in an actual, legitimate study (run by the university, approved by the IRB, submitted for publishing, so on) in some capacity. Doing a project for class? Not research experience. Even if you printed out a published journal article and replicated it for a class project, I don't think I'd count it. IMO, participating in research is more about learning how to apply the scientific method, how to work within the various guidelines and policies and budgets, how to respond to obstables, and so on. It's less about learning the lab techniques used to collect data. Techniques are important, but you learn techniques in the lab section of regular classes too. That doesn't necessarily mean you're more familiar with the process of conducting research. I think that's why schools don't care which subject you do research in, though science research probably looks even better.

Since the work you did contributed to an actual study, I would ask your professor what he thinks. He knows to what extent you were involved in his project, so he could probably give you the best answer.

I feel like pretty much everyone who has made a post here has agreed that it really isn't research experience, it's just a lab course. Most lab classes have you write lab reports after research, but that doesn't mean that you use it as research experience. However, every time someone says no you seem to get offended so it is clear that you think it is which means you probably need to talk to the professor because nobody here is going to change your mind. I did a lab class too that I didn't specifically need for my major, but it isn't research experience...it's a lab...

I recall speaking with my bio advisor freshman year and he made it clear that classes like this would not be considered "research." Lab courses are offered at many universities and what you're describing sounds like a typical 3-4 credit bio lab.

I recall speaking with my bio advisor freshman year and he made it clear that classes like this would not be considered "research." Lab courses are offered at many universities and what you're describing sounds like a typical 3-4 credit bio lab.
alright! thanks guys

I'm not sure what year you are but if you're at a big research university, research experience shouldn't be too difficult to find...especially if you have friends who are already working in a particular lab.