Research Fellowdship -Residency Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student interested in academic medicine and would like to go to a residency program with a first rate research reputation, but my med school is not highly ranked in terms of research. How much would doing a one-year research fellowship (HHMI-Cloisters, Doris Duke, etc) during med school boost my competitiveness when applying for top residency programs relative to other factors (ie, the reputation of my med school, usmle scores, etc)? Would the boost be comparable to the advantage people who have MD/PhDs get when applying for residencies?

EDIT: sorry for the typo in the thread title

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a student interested in academic medicine and would like to go to a residency program with a first rate research reputation, but my med school is not highly ranked in terms of research. How much would doing a one-year research fellowship (HHMI-Cloisters, Doris Duke, etc) during med school boost my competitiveness when applying for top residency programs relative to other factors (ie, the reputation of my med school, usmle scores, etc)? Would the boost be comparable to the advantage people who have MD/PhDs get when applying for residencies?

I'm currently doing one and starting residency this June. It certainly boosts your chances to match but if your application has some problems then dont expect a miracle. Get your research in a national meeting as fast as possible so you can place it on ERAS.

OP - Take a look at the Research FAQ for more ideas on programs to apply to. There are programs at the CDC, NIH, and elsewhere.

Would the boost be comparable to the advantage people who have MD/PhDs get when applying for residencies?
A one-year research fellowship would be helpful, but it is not comparable to an MD/PhD.

A one-year research fellowship would be helpful, but it is not comparable to an MD/PhD.

How can you compare a phd/MD to years as fellowship experience? The fellowship is physician clinical experience + research (could be basic science or clinical). The MD/PHD is medical science courses + research (likely basic science).

Two different games. One is hands on experience and the other one is class knowledge. Apples and Oranges.

I tend to agree with what is said here. Research fellowships are great.

However, there is one caveat: ONLY do one if you truly LOVE research. Most researchers can smell the 'i'm checking boxes and/or just trying to be more competitive' vibe. If you love research and want to learn more, than do it.

Otherwise, focus on other areas. There are better ways to make yourself more 'competitive'.

(1) You're in med school now? Not reapplying?

(2) Which field are you interested in?