Research fellowship after 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of settling down. In Boston.
Thinking of doing a research year before residency begins and while applying for residencies.
in either GI or Cardio research
I've heard of Sarnoff
any other lesser known fellowships or research programs for med students/graduates ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that doing a fellowship year after 4th year with plans to go into something else generally means that you didn't match into a specialty of your choice.

My recommendation: Do an IM residency, do research during your 3 years (or take a year off during the residency itself if it's possible in IM) and do your Cards/GI research. I'm assuming you want to go into either Cards or GI for your profession.

I don't quite understand your thinking of why to pursue research. If it's to make you more competitive for IM residencies, I think that time has mostly passed given that 4th years who take a year off are generally frowned upon. If you want to make yourself more competitive for GI/Cards, then your best bet would be to get involved during your IM residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
No there's a possibility that I'll graduate off-cycle, even though I'll be done with course work in July. All this because a longitudinal research elective that i was counting on to graduate on time may not be available. So I don't just want to waste a year. Would like to do something productive in that year off.

Time off between 4th year and residency is almost universally seen as a red flag, for various reasons, even if it was by choice. I think you should do whatever you can to graduate on time, even if that means taking additional electives with vacation time. I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned, but from what I understand, a lot of these fellowships are for students who have not yet reached 4th year.

If you already have a residency set up, then just take the year off. If you don't since you won't be graduating, you are in a bigger problem. A few questions.

1. Off-cyle graduating? Are you at a foreign medical school (including Caribbean)?
2. You say you are a 4th year student. Did you have a residency lined up through the match to start next year? If so, do whatever you can to finish med school on-cycle and go to your residency.

no no i'm a third year student. i'm supposed to graduate in 2014. if they wont let me do the longitudinal elective, i'll have to do rotations through july, and that'll mean i can't graduate till dec. 2014. i started my third year late thinking that i'd be able to graduate on time if i did the longitudinal. and i'm a US med student.

If you graduate in dec. 2014 and not july 2014, you're going to lose your residency spot. Not recommended.

I would talk to your school and do whatever you can to graduate in july of 2014, or take an official year off (preferably NOT after you finish your 4th year).