Research focused vs. Clinical focused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalKitty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some background from those who know more about this already. Would this be a correct characterization?

Harvard, Columbia, BU = More research focused
Tufts, NYU, UIC = More clinical focused

If I have no research experience would I not be able to get into research oriented schools even if my stats were above average? Or is that something good grades/scores can overcome? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard UIC has plenty of research opportunities too.

Every school has research. Just like every school has clinics:p

Some are more geared towards research, but still porduce great dentists (and bad dentists). Don't rely fully on the school to make you a great dentist, it is something that you learn with the schools help. Just because you go to harvard doesn't mean you won't be able to prep a modbl (which is either a crown or an extraction anyway), but you see what I am saying.

As far as the schools you mentioned, they are rumored to be more research oriented, but I wouldn't count on everyone who gets in to have had research background. I did squat for research and ended up at a more clinically inclined institute, but there are still plenty of opportunities here.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, I was mostly asking because research really isn't my thing :) I know schools will definitely have both aspects and that both are important which is fine....was just wondering if I'd have any issues getting into a more research oriented school with no research experience at all. Thanks for the input!

I don't really, that's why I first asked if my characterization of the schools I listed as "more research oriented" or "more clinical oriented" was correct. But I may still apply to those schools just to see what happens, I haven't decided yet.:)

Columbia isn't really a research focused school. It's more of a didactics focused school with relatively strong research reputations. Plenty of people will get in Columbia without research (I did, even with avg GPA and DATs) Just because ur in Columbia doesn't mean everyone will do research. In fact, the only people who will end up doing research (part time, mostly during 3rd yr) is those people who want to specialize and want to use research to boost their applications.

Ok there are some funny remarks here, most of which are not very educated In order to see whether a school is research-based or not you have to look at the school's mission statement.

But most importantly there is a distinction between student research at a college and faculty research. For example, NYU is in the top research dental schools in terms of budget allocated to research (look at NIH rankings). But most of this research is done by the faculty. Whereas at UCSF students are actively involved in research and are encouraged to do so. The findings of NYUSD are published worldwide and they even have a globally-telecast room that telecasts new operations live to many other schools in many countries, especially to Japan. Meanwhile, many students choose not to be part of this at NYU.

Oh and then there is UOP at which you probably don't get the time to do research

i wouldnt think about specializing unless i am 100% sure i want to do either ortho/endo or OMS

if you want to specialize go to a research oriented school. if you want to do general, then it doesn't matter where you go.

What are your future career goals? Do you want to be a researcher or a clinician? If you have no plans or interest in research, why would you want to go to a school that emphasizes it?