Research for someone who doesn't like bench research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konigstiger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm someone who does not like research at all, especially bench research in a basic science lab. I did this in undergrad and absolutely hated it, and to be honest, I had no idea how important research would be in medical school before I applied, especially now that Step 1 is P/F. Therefore, it's looking like I'm going to have to do some research anyway.

I'm curious if any other people have been in my position and what types of research you did. I'm a novice when it comes to clinical research, so I don't even know where to start looking for research opportunities. I've talked to a few PIs at my school, but given that I go to a DO school, there aren't that many options and almost all of them are bench research in a lab.

For those of you who have done things like chart reviews or participated in clinical trials or other sorts of clinically-oriented research, I would be interested to know what the job entailed and how you found the research opportunity. Hopefully I can find something different and more interesting to me personally than the lab work I did during college.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve done bench work and clinical research, and I’d pick clinical research every time.

Retrospective database or chart review research is fast to turn around if you stay focused and don’t lose momentum. It will get you papers, but the papers may be somewhat less significant and are less likely to end up in top journals.

Prospective clinical research is hard because you usually have to not only secure funding, but you have to recruit the patients, and in order to get enough of a cohort, usually requires the help of multiple centers. It does, however, generate better manuscripts that get accepted in better journals.

Beat advice I have is like what everyone else says, you have to find a mentor. That’s how pretty much everyone gets started in research.

Prospective clinical research is hard because you usually have to not only secure funding, but you have to recruit the patients, and in order to get enough of a cohort, usually requires the help of multiple centers. It does, however, generate better manuscripts that get accepted in better journals.
Just be mindful that it takes ages to get the funding, aprovals and everything up and ready. From start to publishable it will take years.

I joined my lab just at the end of a cycle. Analayzing data from trials that started 4+ years ago and recruiting/setting up new trials that will end 4+ years from now.

@OP I don't know how much a student can participate in these trials. You legally can't recruit or do follow-ups. But, If you want to start somewhere I would get a Good Clinical Practice ICH E6(R2) certification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be mindful that it takes ages to get the funding, aprovals and everything up and ready. From start to publishable it will take years.

I joined my lab just at the end of a cycle. Analayzing data from trials that started 4+ years ago and recruiting/setting up new trials that will end 4+ years from now.

@OP I don't know how much a student can participate in these trials. You legally can't recruit or do follow-ups. But, If you want to start somewhere I would get a Good Clinical Practice ICH E6(R2) certification.

Students absolutely can recruit participants and do follow-ups, depending on the nature of the follow-up procedures required. So long as they're documented to have been delegated those tasks by the PI, there's no legal problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Students absolutely can recruit participants and do follow-ups, depending on the nature of the follow-up procedures required. So long as they're documented to have been delegated those tasks by the PI, there's no legal problem.

Agreed, as long as they are in the IRB

Reactions: 1 users
Ooo, Didn't know