Research for Whites???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjmst

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any summer research internships/co-ops for white undergrads (or ones they let whites into)? All the ones I've read about are for minorities only (usually in capital letters).

Members don't see this ad.

I think most will take you as an applicant regardless. Check the NIH web site for more information. Don't get so uptight about it.

I feel your pain. The only way you can seem to get into a good lab at my school is nepotism. Everytime I went to the counselor's office, almost everything she could show me for summer research oppertunities was stuff for women or minorities. I just ended up asking around my undergrad school for months (just about every prof in the Biology and Psychology departments know who I am) looking for a job. Finally got into a pretty lame undergrad lab. FINALLY I found a decent lab and I'm working there now.

Yeah, my lack of quality research is sort of hindering my MSTP application, but oh well.

I don't have any real advice to offer you except to seriously knock on alot of doors at your school and try to find someone willing to take you on for a summer (is there a summer research program at your school) or keep looking. If moving isn't an issue for you (it was for me), I know I've seen some that take all types of applicants. Often times professors still make good resources even if they won't take you into their own labs, they might know where you can ask.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
work at pharmaceuticals like merck reserach labs, pfizer, smithkline etc... is open to whoever is best for the job. the salaries are incredbile, and so is the experience - take a look there - its for anyone.

Originally posted by rjmst
Are there any summer research internships/co-ops for white undergrads (or ones they let whites into)? All the ones I've read about are for minorities only (usually in capital letters).

no, whites only research would be racist, remember? :rolleyes:

reminds me of those old photos of bathrooms in the south that said "WHITES ONLY"

Originally posted by agent
reminds me of those old photos of bathrooms in the south that said "WHITES ONLY"

hehe..

come on agent. That was a racist segregation....and wrong.

But now, to seperate whites and minorities by research grants? Well, that isnt racist, as long as the whites dont get them!

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
hehe..

come on agent. That was a racist segregation....and wrong.

But now, to seperate whites and minorities by research grants? Well, that isnt racist, as long as the whites dont get them!

I wasn't trying to be racist, im definitely not, i WAS though trying to make a point.

My point is that for things to be truly fair, you shouldnt be able to have URM's ONLY or WHITES ONLY or MEN ONLY.

I just dont see the difference in the discrimination. To me to discriminate is to discriminate.

I wasn't trying to be racist, im definitely not, i WAS though trying to make a point.

My point is that for things to be truly fair, you shouldnt be able to have URM's ONLY or WHITES ONLY or MEN ONLY.

I just dont see the difference in the discrimination. To me to discriminate is to discriminate.

ya, I know you werent..I was just making a joke of the whole "equality=minorities only" thing. I absolutely agree. There should be no boundaries, no exclusive clubs, no quotas. Discrimination is the same in both cases, you're absolutely right! :)

Unfortunately there seems to be a double standard. It is illegal to discriminate against people due to their race and yet it occurs on BOTH SIDES.

Try to find scholarship money if you aren't a minority. It is VERY difficult. And before people start posting saying minorities deserve help more than non minorities, stop and think to yourselves... Isn't it discriminatory to exclude someone seeking schroralship money based by race alone? Could you imagine the uproar it would create if the scholarship books listed a certain source for money but put as a requirement ... Whites only.

Good luck with trying to find your research position!!

before this precipitates to another circular debate, to the OP, no, you dont have to be a minority to get a summer internship. check just about every top 40 major research university and they will have a summer internship program (emory's was pretty good). government agencies such as NIH, or the CDC :), have plenty of great summer experiences open to everyone. search, and ye shall find

Originally posted by DW
before this precipitates to another circular debate, to the OP, no, you dont have to be a minority to get a summer internship. check just about every 40 major research university and they will have a summer internship program (emory's was pretty good). government agencies such as NIH, or the CDC :), have plenty of great summer experiences open to everyone. search, and ye shall find

I was about to say...if you're only finding minority stuff, you're definitely not doing a good job researching jobs.

Originally posted by DW
before this precipitates to another circular debate

what are you talking about? this is a brand-spanking new topic that has never been beaten to death, i mean discussed, before...:rolleyes:

oh wait-- this isn't the sarcastic thread. my bad.

rjmst
My advice to you is this, the graduate school department at your school (or one nearby) should have a booklet containing all of the faculty members and a description of their research. Get ahold of this and choose someone who is doing something you are interested in, set-up an appointment and tell him/her what you are interested in doing and see if they have a position available.
Good Luck

Hi,

I was at a summer medical program at NJMS that was geared toward under-represented minorites, however, there were white students present. Nobody can be excluded!!!:)

just like any other job - knock on every door.
before I got my current job I probably send out at least 80 resumes and cover letters. Do what I did, create a form letter in word and then just generate tons of them and send them out to anyone and everyone.
but the other posters are right... email all the professors at your school doing research you're kind of interested in.
hopefully at this point you've got some advanced coursework so you can at least say "as a result of my academic coursework in blah blah blah, I am interested in..."

another good idea is looking at labs affiliated with hospitals...i've always stuck to clinical research, but there are certainly tons of people who don't do clinical research that work with hospitals. many doctors can be included in this group, so that gives you the double advantage of doing research and having a doctor (and very possiblly med school faculty) writing your recs in the end. i know one girl who is working with a general peds surgeon on research on fetal heart transplants. most of her research assisting is going to involve sheep and heart transplants...it's exciting, cutting edge stuff! plus, when she's done, this doctor is known around the country for her work and her recs will be strengthened by that....not to mention any clinical experiences she gets (watching surgeries, shadowing on rounds, etc.) that she'll get as a bonus.
when it comes down to it, just search websites of schools or hospitals for anyone doing anything you're interested in and then e-mail them a polite letter explaining who you are and your interests (i.e. why you want to work with them). that's what worked for me in the past....good luck!

Originally posted by rjmst

You can certainly get an internship... you just have to e-mail or write to the researcher(s) personally. You'll have a hard time finding a formal pre-organized internship for non-minorities at NIH or CDC or any of those government places. But you can work for these places... you just have to take it upon yourself to find someone who needs summer help from an undergrad.

There is the Howard Hughs summer research program that's for everyone... you can try that.

Wait... if you're still talking about bathrooms... I'd like to keep women and men separate if you don't mind. I like my "WOMEN ONLY" bathroom. :)

Originally posted by jot
work at pharmaceuticals like merck reserach labs, pfizer, smithkline etc... is open to whoever is best for the job. the salaries are incredbile, and so is the experience - take a look there - its for anyone.

Once again I agree with Jot. I currently work at Abbott Labs and have found the research experience very valuable. I am in the cancer research program and have learned quite a bit.

I feel your pain! It was tough to find something that wasn't specific to minorities (no offense here) but just keep searching...there are tons of programs out there! I spent my summer after freshman year in a program at LSU....if your interested PM me! Good Luck!