Research Hours Don't Match What it Says on Paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AsepticTechnique

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently I am an undergrad doing research at a large public university. Since I am not getting paid for my research technically I am a volunteer and I am restricted to only 12 hours a week; however, that is not enough time for to work on my project and for me to actually learn and get things done. Throughout summer I have been putting in around 26 hours a week; but I have only been recording 12 to prevent myself or my PI from getting into any trouble. My question is, for medical applications are they going to ask how many hours I've put in? And if so should I put the actual amount of hours I have been putting in or just the amount I have on paper?
 
Just put the amount of hours you actually worked.

The chances of them seeking verification for the number of hours is about 0.000001%, and even then you can explain the discrepancy just like you have here.
 
Currently I am an undergrad doing research at a large public university. Since I am not getting paid for my research technically I am a volunteer and I am restricted to only 12 hours a week; however, that is not enough time for to work on my project and for me to actually learn and get things done. Throughout summer I have been putting in around 26 hours a week; but I have only been recording 12 to prevent myself or my PI from getting into any trouble. My question is, for medical applications are they going to ask how many hours I've put in? And if so should I put the actual amount of hours I have been putting in or just the amount I have on paper?
On AMCAS, it will ask you how many hours you contributed to your activity (research). I would put the actual amount. However, given your dedication, I'm pretty sure admissions would like to see posters, presentations, and pubs.
 
Hours don't matter as much as the length of time you committed, what you learned, and whether you have other proof of work such as posters/presentations.
So long as it's not unreasonable like 100 hours for 2 year commitment. (`-`)