Research Importance Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an Osteopathic Internal Medicine Resident of former AOA IM program, how important is research to match into a former AOA Cardiology fellowship program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you're coming from and where you're going. Going to top academic fellowship you better have some research firepower. Going from top residency to random community fellowship, probably don't need much. Being first author or even published during residency is a tall order but you should have something going on at least.

You need to do it. You need to have shown some interest in it even if you don't have interest in it.
At the very minimum have a poster accepted to AHA, ACC, HRS, HFSA, or etc..

Depends on where you're coming from and where you're going. Going to top academic fellowship you better have some research firepower. Going from top residency to random community fellowship, probably don't need much. Being first author or even published during residency is a tall order but you should have something going on at least.
In my original post I said I am an osteopathic resident at a formerly AOA community Internal Medicine residency program hoping to match into a similar type of Cardiology fellowship program. Do you feel that it is imperative that I do Cardiology research in order to match?

In my original post I said I am an osteopathic resident at a formerly AOA community Internal Medicine residency program hoping to match into a similar type of Cardiology fellowship program. Do you feel that it is imperative that I do Cardiology research in order to match?
Yes
Research is one of the few things you have control over in this random process.
You can’t change you graduated from a DO school, went to a community program or your STEP scores but you absolutely can hustle for research

That's a mouthful, but the answer is simple: Yes.