Research importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leiface

i see sick people
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a Junior and just today, after some discussion with my research mentor, decided I cannot continue to do research next semester because of the time commitment issue. I've worked there for one year, and my mentor and I are not particularly close. Will it reflect very poorly on my med school application to have worked a year in this lab and quit? Also will it be weird or questionable if I do not get a recommendation from this mentor?

Thanky:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

hey leiface,

I had a similar experience as yours.....i began my research adventures in an organic synthesis lab, of which I worked in for one year as well. Later, as my interests changed (from chemistry to physiology), and when I was accepted as an intern at Wash U, I chose to work in a physiology lab. Needless to say, when I came back to my undergrad lab, I was ready for a change.....I had like the physio lab so much that I decided to end my tenure in the chem lab and to pursue some other options.

Despite my leaving after one year, I have not regretted placing my experience in the chem lab on my app.....I learned a lot about chemistry through my experience there, and more importantly, I learned more about myself by weighing my options and going for what I really wanted.

So, my advice to you is to leave respectfully, and maintain your ties in the lab.....even though you may not be especially close to your mentor, a relationship is still there. It wouldn't hurt to chat with him/her about your app, and maybe the letter that they might write for you would surpise you! Also, think about what you gained from your experience in the lab.....did you like it, what did you learn, etc. These are all things you should consider if you chose to include this experience in your app.

Good luck to you!!!!

Wow, that mirrors my scenario very well. I also worked in an organic synthesis lab. Your advice is very helpful, thanks!:)