Research important for General Surgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archimedesxx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering, is it essential that you have research experience (summer after 1st yr) before you apply for general surgery residency? I have done research for quite sometime and would like to use that summer to explore other interests. I mean its going to be a productive summer not a vacation of some sorts.
NB: This is just a question. Please no one should ask me to enter medical school first. I just need an honesr answer. That's all. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Essential? No, lots of people match in every specialty without any research experience.

Hi,
I was wondering, is it essential that you have research experience (summer after 1st yr) before you apply for general surgery residency? I have done research for quite sometime and would like to use that summer to explore other interests. I mean its going to be a productive summer not a vacation of some sorts.
NB: This is just a question. Please no one should ask me to enter medical school first. I just need an honesr answer. That's all. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Research is nice but not essential for general surg. You don't need to do it the summer after MS1.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the consensus here is that it really does it matter /non-essential ( to do research) for General Surgery.