Research in Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dulop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My question is that it seems like the best time to do research in my program is summer after 1st year. However, I'm curious, if I do research with a orthopedic surgeon for example, how does that affect my application should i choose to purse NS, or optho, etc. Basically, i'm asking how research in a specialty affects my application in other, very competitive residencies should I change my mind during med school. If it does, it feels like my decision for a specialty has to made very soon. Thanks for the responses.

dulop

Members don't see this ad.

It will never hurt your application to a competitive speciality if you have done research in an unrelated field. However, your application will likely be viewed slightly more favorably with relevant research. Herein lies the dilemma for many medical students -- should I do research after my first year in a field of interest knowing full well that I might change my mind in a couple of years?

Only you can answer that question, but I feel it is better to have some research under your belt than no research at all. No one can expect you to reasonably choose what speciality you will practice for the rest of your life w/o at least a one-month clinical rotation during 3rd or 4th year.