Research in Neurosurgery

Started by Crete
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Crete

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope I can pick your brains a little bit! I'm currently applying to med school and have always love neuro, but after doing intensive research over the last 2 years, I don't think I can live a life behind the bench. How necessary is it for a Neurosurgeon to incorporate research into his/her career? Is it possible to work at a prestigous academic institution without conducting rigorous research? I know it's early to be thinking about this but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
 
Crete said:
How necessary is it for a Neurosurgeon to incorporate research into his/her career? Is it possible to work at a prestigous academic institution without conducting rigorous research?

Yes, it's possible to work at a prestigious academic institution without conducting rigorous research. The fact is that most neurosurgeons, regardless of where they work, do not conduct rigorous bench research. And even when they do, it is generall not the neurosurgeon running the gels and PCR.

As with most of medicine you can likely find a niche for what you want to do. I would not worry about it too much. Wait until you get to medical school and get involved in neurosurgey research (as it will likely help your application to residency) and see what you think about it then.
 
mpp said:
Yes, it's possible to work at a prestigious academic institution without conducting rigorous research. The fact is that most neurosurgeons, regardless of where they work, do not conduct rigorous bench research. And even when they do, it is generall not the neurosurgeon running the gels and PCR.

As with most of medicine you can likely find a niche for what you want to do. I would not worry about it too much. Wait until you get to medical school and get involved in neurosurgey research (as it will likely help your application to residency) and see what you think about it then.

Thanks a lot mpp, that's great to know!