research in pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raspberry009

Beam me up Scotty
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, I will be getting my M.D. soon and have been working in the lab for a total of 6 months. I am really enjoying it actually. When I was applying to the MD/PhD programs I was actually discouraged from persuing a PhD. "You don't need a PhD," they said, "all you need is your MD." But now, I am about to get my MD and I still have so much to learn researchwise. I'm still really interested in clinical pathology as well, tho. I guess my question has several parts:

I know that I can do research in residency, but as faculty will this training be enough to be comfortable as a PI?

If I choose to be a post doc in the lab, will I be able to have any clinical responsibilities?

I really don't want to go back through school again to pick up a PhD, but now I don't see any other possibility... I thought I was done sitting in class all day long.

thoughts anyone?...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first off, I will be getting my M.D. soon and have been working in the lab for a total of 6 months. I am really enjoying it actually. When I was applying to the MD/PhD programs I was actually discouraged from persuing a PhD. "You don't need a PhD," they said, "all you need is your MD." But now, I am about to get my MD and I still have so much to learn researchwise. I'm still really interested in clinical pathology as well, tho. I guess my question has several parts:

I know that I can do research in residency, but as faculty will this training be enough to be comfortable as a PI?

If I choose to be a post doc in the lab, will I be able to have any clinical responsibilities?

I really don't want to go back through school again to pick up a PhD, but now I don't see any other possibility... I thought I was done sitting in class all day long.
The PhD mainly serves as a "protected" time sort of experience to learn experimental science. You feel that you have much to learn mainly because you have only done months of research. Many folks pick up those skills during undergrad research, PhD research, research years during MD training (HHMI cloister program comes into mind), and during postdoc. Whether or not you need every element of this step-wise training is individual. Some folks are quite talented in research and do not need all the steps.

I believe that talent is a crucial component in one's success in research...you either have it or you don't. I know quite a few MD's who don't have PhD's who excel in research mainly because they picked up quite a bit of skills during their postdocs. Some of these special breed of folks may argue that a PhD is not crucial...but hindsight is 20/20, right?

In any case, your accomplishments during grad school are minimal compared to those during postdoc when it comes down to establishing a track record in research towards being an RO1 funded investigator. Much of this is because people pursue a different line of research in postdoc vs. grad school. That's a natural part of the process because as one develops intellectually, one devises a different set of research questions that are of interest to the individual. Old questions become out of vogue and new research problems become the "hot topics". To drive the point home, I published quite a bit in undergrad and grad school...but when it comes time to apply for a PI position, I would have needed to succeed in a postdoc. This is not guaranteed since a lot of research success is luck- and serendipity-driven. If I were to fail in postdoc, I would not be able to rest on my prior laurels to gain a faculty position.

Hence, the postdoc experience is the true test. What you publish in postdoc is most relevant to your transitioning to a PI. Because doing well in science has a lot to do with "being at the right place at the right time", being blessed with this opportunity during a postdoc is paramount. In that vein, in principle, you do NOT need a PhD if you are able to quickly adapt to the scientific frame of thought and rapidly gain the tools and expertise to perform experiments well, publish strong papers, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, apply for funding. I did not feel that I got adequate experience on the latter during my PhD training...why? Because as I said earlier, a PhD is "protected time". You do not need to worry about getting funding, that's your PI's responsibility. Sure, you can write mini-proposals for training grant but that mainly serves to pay part of your grad school stipend and pad your CV. But in no way is that sufficient preparation for the fierce funding environment that especially exists today.

As for your second question, yes you can do research in residency. But you are a resident to gain clinical knowledge and tools. Most projects you do will be smaller in scale. And this will not be sufficient to transition smoothly to an RO1 funded PI position...unless you're really really lucky and you can function on 2 hours of sleep a night.

If you do choose the postdoc route after residency, I would recommend doing limited service responsibilities. That way, you don't forget what you learned and you can still keep your feet wet diagnostically. However, the problem arises when even this limited service duty interferes with your research.

Now in retrospect, I remember many folks warning me against doing an MD/PhD, even my undergrad PI who was emphatically against my pursuit of a dual degree. He said that I would likely turn out to be "half assed" in science and clinical work if I were to do so. In some sense, I now agree with him, but not completely. I believe that it certainly helps to differentiate one's mind towards a research pathway or a clinical pathway during one's development...the earlier the better. Trying to wear "two hats at the same time" is strenuous and requires a lot of training and responsibility to maintain a top caliber mind in both. Next thing you know, you're 40 when you get your first job. Is that what you want? Rob Weinberg at MIT addressed this in his Cell editorial a year or so ago...even straight PhD's who have undergone no clinical training and straight MDs who have undergone no PhD training, are taking longer and longer to get their first RO1's and their first assistant professorship positions. Because of this, they may be getting these "first real jobs" when they are past their peak of intellectual prowess and creativity. Keep that in mind...that's the one thing that stuck with me after reading his article.

The benefit of having dual training is to be able to identify clinically relevant questions and be aware of a multidisciplinary approach to solving research problems. In that regard, I think the MD is more crucial than the PhD. The PhD provides tools but if you can pick them up during a postdoc, the PhD is superfluous.

thoughts anyone?...

Congratulations on having an interest in research and an interest in pathology. Pathologists who do teach, do basic science research and have a modicum of clinical responsibilities are truly wonderful people.

For your first question, it is very unlikely that you will conduct enough research as a resident that will allow you to transition quickly into a funded investigator. Additional training is a necessity.

The additional training can be picked up by obtaining a Ph.D. or doing a post doctoral fellowship. You can do a research post doctoral fellowship rather than a more service oriented fellowship. The advantagages of doing a research post-doc are
1) You will be paid like a resident rather than a graduate student, not a great sum of money but certainly more.
2) You can have some limited service responsibilities so that you do not lose your diagnostic edge. This permits you to take call, go to conferences etc. The advantage here is that you help out the department by spreading the call over more people. It also permits the department to legitimately supplement the NIH post-doctoral salary so that you are paid like a resident.
3) You can transition quickly from your post-doc to an academic career. You should be publishing 2 to 3 papers per year after the first year in good quality journals. You can also start writing your own small grants.

The lab you choose for your post-doc is very important in future success. You need to find a lab that will work with you and help promote you as a scientist. This does not always mean going to a large, senior lab since you may get lost in the shuffle of numerous post-docs. However, a junior investigator may have the time to invest in you, but lack the experience to truly mentor you. There is no magic formula to determine the optimal training environment.

Good luck and know that pathology actively supports and encourages bright minds that want to enter our field.

Dan Remick
Chair, Pathology and Lab Medicine, Boston University

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you sooo much. I have had a hard time at my school and at interviews to get unbiased opinions. I have had such a difficult time getting clear answers. But your guys' advice are truly priceless. I think I know what my plan is now. Thank you, so much.

:)

no idea if it still exists..BUT, there was this killer program that UCLA had, dunno over saw it over a decade ago, where you get funding while in residency and did research at CalTech or UCLA. At the end you got a PhD from Caltech (uber) and a residency certificate from UCLA (decent).

Think it might of had an acronym like STARS or something like that. Anyway, that would be the way I would go if I was in your shoes.

Does post doctoral work behave like fellowships? where you apply through ERAS again? or do you need to be established in that institution? In other words, when looking at post doc fellowships, would you think that it would be easier to apply within the institution where you do residency? Or would I have a chance at getting a good post doc position at a different school if the place I do residency at isn't that strong in the area research I'm interested in....say for example .....pancreatic cancer.

Yeah, STAR still exists AFAIK...

http://www.star.med.ucla.edu/general_information/about_star.htm

Seems a little sketchy to me, but what I do know...

-X

no idea if it still exists..BUT, there was this killer program that UCLA had, dunno over saw it over a decade ago, where you get funding while in residency and did research at CalTech or UCLA. At the end you got a PhD from Caltech (uber) and a residency certificate from UCLA (decent).

Think it might of had an acronym like STARS or something like that. Anyway, that would be the way I would go if I was in your shoes.

Does post doctoral work behave like fellowships? where you apply through ERAS again? or do you need to be established in that institution? In other words, when looking at post doc fellowships, would you think that it would be easier to apply within the institution where you do residency? Or would I have a chance at getting a good post doc position at a different school if the place I do residency at isn't that strong in the area research I'm interested in....say for example .....pancreatic cancer.
You do not apply for fellowships through ERAS. You apply usually early in your third year of residency if you are AP/CP. Many of the larger academic institutions have a year of fellowship funded at a PGY-5 level with an opportunity for research the following year. The second year may be supported by a PI within that sub specialty, or an institutional grant, or the hospital if you have signout duties. The best opportunity would be to try and get junior level funding yourself. It is helpful to choose a fellowship that has investigators with a good track record for helping to secure and support junior level grants and fledgling investigators. There are post doc opportunities advertised all the time. As mentioned earlier in this thread you are better off doing a post-doc as a corollary to a clinical fellowship. This way you can sign out clinical cases while trying to secure your own funding. Getting funded is very difficult but this will likely change in the near future. It truly needs to if we hope to have any real part of the global scientific community in the coming generations. Check out this paper. It looks like we are at a low enough point historically that based on previous trends we should start seeing increased funding.

N Engl J Med. 2006 Apr 20;354(16):1665-7.

Yeah, STAR still exists AFAIK...

http://www.star.med.ucla.edu/general_information/about_star.htm

Seems a little sketchy to me, but what I do know...

-X

I believe STAR still exists but when I interviewed at UCLA several yrs ago, it was really sold to me as a mechanism for a resident without PhD training as a possible way to get a PhD...some kind of joint postdoc/PhD deal. Whatever the case may be, it's a formal setup for funding of residents who want to do basic science. I see it as a postdoc and in that setting, if one gets a PhD, that's just gravy.

I believe STAR still exists but when I interviewed at UCLA several yrs ago, it was really sold to me as a mechanism for a resident without PhD training as a possible way to get a PhD...some kind of joint postdoc/PhD deal. Whatever the case may be, it's a formal setup for funding of residents who want to do basic science. I see it as a postdoc and in that setting, if one gets a PhD, that's just gravy.

Exactly my point, basically with minimal additional effort you get a free PhD for a postdoc you would otherwise do anyway AND get a residency done. From what I understood from the OP he is not a MDPhD but really interested in research, maybe getting a PhD down the road, then this program is solid AFAIK. The kicker is you didnt have do your PhD at UCLA (which I wouldnt), you could do it at an affiliate, which when it first started included CalTech in Pasadena..dunno now. I could actually think of a crazy collaborative project with that nano-microscopy guy CalTech stole from MIT a few years ago and you have City of Hope right around the corner if you wanted to do a heme related project and look at slides on occasion (think they were in the affiliate program too).

From the STAR webpage:

Tract 1. Physician-Scientist-Basic Science

This tract is for physicians committed to careers combining basic science research with subspecialty medicine. Graduate courses and research are undertaken to earn a Ph.D. degree. Mentors may be chosen from UCLA's basic science departments including:

Biological Chemistry
Biomathematics
Biomedical Engineering
Experimental Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Human Genetics
Microbiology and Immunology
Molecular Biology
Molecular Genetics
Molecular and Medical Pharmacology
Neuroscience
Physiology

A partnership between UCLA School of Medicine and California Institute of Technology enables STAR fellows the option of pursuing their Ph.D. studies at Caltech.

are there any other university than have programmes similar to stars?thx~~

To answer the above question, there are a lot of residency programs w/ physician-scientist tracks. Not sure how many of them result in actually granting a PhD however. You should be able to search FRIEDA for that info, I think, for whatever it's worth...

Since we're talking Path research, I was curious of the 2008 applicants if any of the regulars were interested in infectious disease research? Its my area of interest and while most people in path interested in research are interested in cancer, I've been told as I interview that there are "4 to 5" applicants interested in ID research... at at least one institution, I was told they were all MD/PhD and I was the "only" one applying AP/CP and not CP-only. Just wondering if there's any truth to that, and if any of the other ID-interested applicants are around and want to swap PMs about programs/impressions. :)

BH

For ID research I really recommend checking out UTMB. Very very strong in ID research. I predict that soon they will be the best place in the country to do infectious disease once their national research building goes up, which should be finished by the end of this year.

Infectious disease research at Boston University is also very strong and will get stronger. We have a new National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory which is a biosafety level 4 facility. This will be opening within a year and pathology is closely involved with these research efforts. Pathology is jointly recruiting faculty for this facility mostly on the research side. Pathology will participate at multiple levels including basic science research and working with the investigators to examine tissues.

My own research also looks at infectious disease pathology, specifically sepsis. We are always looking for talent and will submit an NIH training grant specifically to train clinical post-doctoral fellows (yes, this includes pathology) in basic science research.

For additional information about this new laboratory look at the following website

www.bu.edu/neidl/

Dan Remick, Chair of Pathology Boston University School of Medicine

I'm glad that project continued to get built! Last time I had heard the project was shut down because someone got contaminated and got several people sick in the community. But the same thing is being built in Galveston. I figure the goverment thinks that if there is a major breakout they can contain it either by knocking out the bridge or sinking the island (haha). Kinda hard to do in Boston.:)

Exactly my point, basically with minimal additional effort you get a free PhD for a postdoc you would otherwise do anyway AND get a residency done. From what I understood from the OP he is not a MDPhD but really interested in research, maybe getting a PhD down the road, then this program is solid AFAIK. The kicker is you didnt have do your PhD at UCLA (which I wouldnt), you could do it at an affiliate, which when it first started included CalTech in Pasadena..dunno now. I could actually think of a crazy collaborative project with that nano-microscopy guy CalTech stole from MIT a few years ago and you have City of Hope right around the corner if you wanted to do a heme related project and look at slides on occasion (think they were in the affiliate program too).

The STAR program is pretty flexible. I know a UCLA attending who got a PhD under the auspices of that program, working part-time. I suppose it helps to be faculty at the sponsoring institution, but still.

Infectious disease research at Boston University is also very strong and will get stronger. We have a new National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory which is a biosafety level 4 facility. This will be opening within a year and pathology is closely involved with these research efforts. Pathology is jointly recruiting faculty for this facility mostly on the research side. Pathology will participate at multiple levels including basic science research and working with the investigators to examine tissues.

My own research also looks at infectious disease pathology, specifically sepsis. We are always looking for talent and will submit an NIH training grant specifically to train clinical post-doctoral fellows (yes, this includes pathology) in basic science research.

Impressive.

Need any veterinary pathologists in near future? :oops:

Impressive.
Need any veterinary pathologists in near future? :oops:

I'll probably need some in the distant future... Some of the coolest pathologists I know are Vet Pathologists... or DVM/PhDs...

You'll be pleased to know that when remarking that I hoped to apply my surgical path skills to studying animal models for my research in the future, I was advised (by an md pathologist) it was best to go ahead and consult a vet pathologist. :)

BH

This is a fantastic thread. Need more info about research career...

I guess I have a second question -- For those that don't have a PhD, what sort of things can we do to help transition to say a clinical or translational research career with some service responsibilities? Are most pathology professors for the most part either full time lab PIs or full time teachers/practicing pathologists? Also, is there more info about careers in clinical research/translational research (as opposed to pure basic research)? Last what possibilities are there to form businesses in concert with one being a professor (eg do universities usually claim patent or is it possible to partner with the university in creating a start up for example)