research in SF bay area

Started by ssingh0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ssingh0

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a BS in biology, and no research experience. Have been trying to get into an entry level research job. Have tried emailing profs at davis & berkeley (6 or 7 at each school), and applying to jobs for Research Associate I at UCSF and biotech companies. Haven't heard anything.

Looking for advice for how to get in the door.
 
I've been experiencing the same thing in the SF area. I have several years of research experience from undergrad but haven't landed a position. Try working with a temp agency. There are several that deal with science positions in the area. The pay is similar to entry level academic RA positions Good luck.
 
i know that adds posted for UCberkeley lab jobs are usually already filled since the PI already has someone in mind. university policy requires them to post jobs and interview other candidates. I dont know if this is true for other UC's.

it seems like u definitely need someone on the inside to hook u up with these jobs. the joys of networking. there are however plenty of biotechs in the bay area. happy hunting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A little more than a year ago I was looking for research jobs in the Bay Area too. I applied to jobs at UCSF, Berkeley, Stanford, and the VA. I didn't hear back from any of the Berkeley jobs, only heard back from a few of the UCSF ones, and none of the Stanford ones. I ultimately ended up getting a research position at the VA. I don't know if that was just luck, or if those positions are easier to get, but you might want to keep them in mind.
 
ssingh0 said:
I graduated with a BS in biology, and no research experience. Have been trying to get into an entry level research job. Have tried emailing profs at davis & berkeley (6 or 7 at each school), and applying to jobs for Research Associate I at UCSF and biotech companies. Haven't heard anything.

Looking for advice for how to get in the door.

hey there,
i'm a 4th year med student @ ucsf - i worked as a research assistant at the kaiser permanente division of research the year before med school, which was a great experience. they have job openings listed - check the DOR homepage: http://www.dor.kaiser.org/

go to the "jobs" link at the bottom of the homepage....

good luck! 🙂 :luck:
 
brohemus said:
hey there,
i'm a 4th year med student @ ucsf - i worked as a research assistant at the kaiser permanente division of research the year before med school, which was a great experience. they have job openings listed - check the DOR homepage: http://www.dor.kaiser.org/

go to the "jobs" link at the bottom of the homepage....

good luck! 🙂 :luck:

btw, the kaiser division of research is located in oakland, CA.......
 
At UCD, the grad professors (and/or their grad students) usually post research positions (paid or not-paid) through their internship career center website. I believe it is open to everyone to see. It is my own experience that when they post it, they really need someone to work, therefore would prefer someone who is living in Davis, and/or currently attending UCD.

In the past, as a grad student here at UCD, I have posted some of these, and personally would prefer someone local, and most likely a student currently enrolled at UCD due to their availability, and the resources they have open to them as an enrolled student (library access, interlibrary loan, student ID#, etc). This is just for a volunteer student researcher.

To find a paid research position at any school is really hard. Money is always limited, and PI's have to preferentially pay the tuition/salaries of their grad students in most programs. At UCD, thats at least $21,250/yr + tuition fees. In a lab with more than one grad student, you can see how that will limit the desire to pay another person who is not enrolled in an academic program.

If you find a lab that has a lot of money, they are probably working on some hardcore NIH or NSF grant, so they will need someone with a lot of research experience to do what the have to do. So they would probably find a person who specializes in that area already (e.g.: some tech with experience).

My suggestion is to start off with a volunteer position, and work your way up to a paid position. Professors are always eager to keep good labor 😉 . Like with most undergrad degrees (my degree included), it is relatively challenging to find a good paying job. These days you will probably need a lot of prior research experience and/or a graduate degree to get into a decent research job.

As an undergrad, and post-bacc I didn't find it hard to find volunteer research positions at any school. I submitted emails to professors at UCSF and UCB, and all replied. The most important thing is to find something that you are interested in, rather than finding what you can get. You will not get anything out of research if you hate what you are doing. There is no point in doing research if that is the case. Unless you are planning to apply to an MSTP, then research is merely icing on the cake. If you didn't like your research, you won't know it well, and if asked during interviews, they will see right through you...which could count against you. Conversely, if you loved your research, you can talk forever about it....and that shows your knowledge and dedication to that aspect...which is a good thing🙂

Anyway don't give up, keep looking, I know there are those that pay and have less of a requirement, but its just harder to find them. Good luck! :luck:
 
I just graduated in 2005 and landed a job at the VA. My work experience at the VA has been very positive. Try to search for VA jobs at this website. Their job requirements are less stringent and more diverse than the research jobs at the uni. The biotech companies usually would not hire you unless you have lots of technical experience in the lab. Good luck in your job hunting. 🙂
http://www.va.gov/jobs/
 
brohemus said:
hey there,
i'm a 4th year med student @ ucsf - i worked as a research assistant at the kaiser permanente division of research the year before med school, which was a great experience. they have job openings listed - check the DOR homepage: http://www.dor.kaiser.org/

go to the "jobs" link at the bottom of the homepage....

good luck! 🙂 :luck:

i applied for a temp job there, got an interview, and then realized it was a phone job, sorta like telemarketing. i said no.

OP -- if you want real research work, and at all those places you applied to, good luck: you need to know people on the inside.
sometimes though, you can get lucky and find 'em on Craigslist. i swear it has worked for some people...
 
Might look at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute?). Based in Oakland. Very good organization. They do a lot of very good work.
 
"I said I love you and think I want to spend my life with you, but right now I'm in Safeway and I can't find anything, so I'll call you later.'' (Older man on cell phone, overheard at Safeway at Jackson and Davis by Luciano.)
"Remember, girls love eye patches and scars.'' (High school freshman boy giving advice to 11-year-old, overhead on the 38L Geary by Marcus Loy.)
"I love you, but your credit's not that good.'' (Man on cell phone, overheard at the Sausalito Art Fair.)



LOL!!!!! That's all I can say!!! SO true! I don't know much about research positions in the bay area, but if its like any other industry, the competition is SURE to be tough!!! Go through a back door, no matter what. Seek out the back door and FIND it.

-a former rider of the 38L
 
"I said I love you and think I want to spend my life with you, but right now I'm in Safeway and I can't find anything, so I'll call you later.'' (Older man on cell phone, overheard at Safeway at Jackson and Davis by Luciano.)
"Remember, girls love eye patches and scars.'' (High school freshman boy giving advice to 11-year-old, overhead on the 38L Geary by Marcus Loy.)
"I love you, but your credit's not that good.'' (Man on cell phone, overheard at the Sausalito Art Fair.)



LOL!!!!! That's all I can say!!! SO true! I don't know much about research positions in the bay area, but if its like any other industry (I lived in SF for 5 years), the competition is SURE to be tough!!! Go through a back door, no matter what. Seek out the back door and FIND it.

-a former rider of the 38L