Research in something other than science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I got an opportunity to do research with a oncology PhD social worker. He is basically surveying social workers about distress and managing stress so we can try and fix the problem before mental health starts getting affected. I figure veterinarians or any field really, deals with a lot of stress and it would be an interesting research opportunity. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I think that if you are genuinely interested in this research, it will be a great opportunity for you! It's definitely not necessary to do science research if that is not your interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This actually sounds really cool. You might even be able to spin the directive of this research and relate/apply it to the current issues regarding compassion fatigue/stress in veterinary medicine during interviews and in your application. Plus, I'm sure that you will still have to run stats and whatnot for this project, which would be an awesome learning opportunity. Just because it isn't directly "science related" does not mean that it won't be valuable!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I got an opportunity to do research with a oncology PhD social worker. He is basically surveying social workers about distress and managing stress so we can try and fix the problem before mental health starts getting affected. I figure veterinarians or any field really, deals with a lot of stress and it would be an interesting research opportunity. What do you guys think?
@dvmcatdog the research opportunity sounds interesting: it is a hypothesis driven, systematic study designed to identify distress in social workers and the management thereof.

It sounds as if you're genuinely interested in pursuing this research opportunity. In so doing, you will learn more about research methodology (e.g., research design and collecting data), critical analysis and reasoning; and might even publish your findings in a peer-reviewed journal. Later, when you apply to veterinary medicine school, you will have something timely and unique to discuss in your personal statement/interview (especially given that veterinary medicine is a stressful profession, with elevated levels of burnout, etc.).

I wish you the very best of success!

Do it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you guys so much!! Yes we will be collecting data through SPSS and analyzing it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile