Research Job with Clinical Aspects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

strangequark

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm a prospective applicant for the 2021-22 cycle, who has been working in an MD-run lab since graduation in May 2020. The research I do is considered basic/translational, but one of my main responsibilities is to bank tissue samples from surgeries, which has resulted in me spending in excess of 50 hours so far (probably > 100 by time of matriculation) in the operating rooms at the hospital. This has allowed me to interact with the doctors and nurses in the OR quite frequently (average of 1-2x a week), and I think overall I've learned a lot about how everything goes during surgery. I am wondering how I should list this experience in my work/activities section of my application.

I should note one of the main reasons I ask is because on the whole I don't have much clinical experience (~110 hrs of shadowing, ~10ish hrs helping out at a COVID vaccination site which I won't list) in comparison to my research experience (~8000 hrs by matriculation), so possibly this could help?

Thanks in advance!!!
 
Hi! I'm a prospective applicant for the 2021-22 cycle, who has been working in an MD-run lab since graduation in May 2020. The research I do is considered basic/translational, but one of my main responsibilities is to bank tissue samples from surgeries, which has resulted in me spending in excess of 50 hours so far (probably > 100 by time of matriculation) in the operating rooms at the hospital. This has allowed me to interact with the doctors and nurses in the OR quite frequently (average of 1-2x a week), and I think overall I've learned a lot about how everything goes during surgery. I am wondering how I should list this experience in my work/activities section of my application.

I should note one of the main reasons I ask is because on the whole I don't have much clinical experience (~110 hrs of shadowing, ~10ish hrs helping out at a COVID vaccination site which I won't list) in comparison to my research experience (~8000 hrs by matriculation), so possibly this could help?

Thanks in advance!!!
I think if you were actively observing cases in the time prior to your sample pickup, that would be fair to classify as shadowing.