Research Jobs

Started by letitgo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

letitgo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm just having an incredbily hard time deciding what kind of job to take. I'm applying to med school next year and so I have two years to get a job and make the most of it. The problem is, I don't want the same job for two years. I want a one-year job so I can have some flexibility next year. But the other problem is, I'm a non-trad with absolutely no research experience. I have some patient-contact job experience, but I think I need to do some research.

I've been offered a job at a major hospital doing data-entry and patient interviews - it's called "research study assistant" but there is no real independent research. It seems like a dime-a-dozen job, and I'm not too excited about it. Or I could go for a lab job, or maybe something more like clinical research (also interviewing patients, but more chance for independent research). I feel like maybe I should try for something unique, too. Also I can't decide between Boston and New York.

Any thoughts? Please help, I need to decide...well, yesterday.
 
I worked in clinical research for 5+ years including lead coordinator at a major research institution. In my experience, I looked to hire people who, ideally, were looking for stay for AT LEAST a year. I would not limit myself to only staying at a job for a year. If you find a great job and are upfront about your desire to apply to med school, I am sure that they would be more than happy to work with you when you need additional flexibility.