Research journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben_Nguyen

Reaction score
Hello! For publications, do medical school care about the journal we publish in? For example, will publishing in a prestigious journal lend more weight? Additionally, how do you find a journal to publish? I just finished writing a very thought-out review paper and was wondering how I can find an appropriate journal to publish it. I heard of the Journal of Young Investigators but being that it is run by undergraduate students, it may not seem prestigious and "real".

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! For publications, do medical school care about the journal we publish in? For example, will publishing in a prestigious journal lend more weight? Additionally, how do you find a journal to publish? I just finished writing a very thought-out review paper and was wondering how I can find an appropriate journal to publish it. I heard of the Journal of Young Investigators but being that it is run by undergraduate students, it may not seem prestigious and "real".
Is JYI in Pubmed???

Reactions: 1 user
if its not nature or science then its basically the same as publishing a poem in your high school newspaper.

but seriously, while publishing in one of the top impact factor journals is a plus, any publication will do.

was this paper for a class? i'd consider asking your professor if they think its worthy of publishing and if they could help you find a journal

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get something published in a top tier journal, it'll turn some heads. That being said, it's not expected that students at the undergraduate level are doing that kinda stuff everyday. Just having a publication is neat in itself. Not an absolute requirement, though. I will leave this world an both an MD and likely someone with zero publications and that's fine.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Don’t bother with journals for young investigators or your undergraduate journal. Go for a professional journal.

You want one that’s peer reviewed and indexed in PubMed. Beyond that, the higher the impact factor the better, but that doesn’t really matter much at this level. Any publications is better than none.

Which journal depends on what your review paper is about. You’ve got to google it and do some research.

Another factor to be aware of is submission fees. Most lower impact factor journals charge publication charges between $1000-$3000. Some journals will grant fee waivers if you email them and ask for one in advance.

Don’t bother with journals for young investigators or your undergraduate journal. Go for a professional journal.

You want one that’s peer reviewed and indexed in PubMed. Beyond that, the higher the impact factor the better, but that doesn’t really matter much at this level. Any publications is better than none.

Which journal depends on what your review paper is about. You’ve got to google it and do some research.

Another factor to be aware of is submission fees. Most lower impact factor journals charge publication charges between $1000-$3000. Some journals will grant fee waivers if you email them and ask for one in advance.
Only thing I’ll add is that not all research meets the goals of PubMed and MEDLINE. For example, I did hard chemistry research and published but there’s no reason for PubMed to index that journal even though it’s got a decent impact factor ~9 and is distributed by Elsevier. So just make sure the journal is peer reviewed and check to see if it’s on a list of predatory journals. Your best bet is to ask your professor what they suggest, they’ll have a good idea of what is reputable and what isn’t.