Research Lab or PT Aide??? Really need some input

Started by futurept99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futurept99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the chance this upcoming year to either A) work in a research lab focusing on biomechanics (min 5 hrs/week) or B) work in the Health Center as a PT aide doing some basic hands on experience and shadowing PT staff (min 10 hrs/week).

My question is ... which experience would rate higher with PT schools?

I am really torn as I do not know if I can juggle both of these unbelievable opportunities along with a full class load so I might be having to make a tough decision as I really want to do both.

Thank you 🙂
 
I have the chance this upcoming year to either A) work in a research lab focusing on biomechanics (min 5 hrs/week) or B) work in the Health Center as a PT aide doing some basic hands on experience and shadowing PT staff (min 10 hrs/week).

My question is ... which experience would rate higher with PT schools?

I am really torn as I do not know if I can juggle both of these unbelievable opportunities along with a full class load so I might be having to make a tough decision as I really want to do both.

Thank you 🙂

As long as you have other PT experience (shadowing/volunteering), I would think Research would make more of an impression. How many prospective PT students have experience in some kind of PT setting? How many have experience performing research? Just my 2 cents.
 
Both sound great, so if nothing else just go with the one that makes you happy/pays better. If they are equal, I'm with Paulynices. They see a lot more PT aides than they do research experience I would expect. Being unique is normally good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the research. That experience is harder to find than a PT aide. So many applicants are PT aides. Also, if you find you hate research, it's better to find out now than to go to a research-based school.
 
I think @NewTestament is on the right page. It depends on what you see yourself doing in the future, and if the school you are applying to is a research institution.

For example, I know that I want to do research and plan on getting a PhD. I'm looking at dual DPT/PhD programs, so I specifically got a job in the PT research department at a hospital.

But if you have no interest in research, don't take the job because you think it will look better to schools.
 
I worked as a research assistant in biomechanics while doing my undergrad. It was an unbelievable experience. I learned a lot and it helped me understand applied physics.
 
Thank you to everyone who has provided their input. It is so very valuable and I do appreciate it 🙂 I definitely agree with your input on the research being more of a unique experience so I think I am leaning towards that since I have enough shadowing hours done already. Plus I just found out that the research position is volunteer for the first semester but could turn into a paid position for the remaining semesters.