Research: MD vs PhD vs MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aherndon12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that there is a gap between MD research and PhD research. For example, MD research is more treatment based and PhD research is strictly science based. Can anyone shed some light on the research done as MD, PhD, and MD/PhD. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll let far more experienced people respond. But as far as I know, an MD has far more flexibility to do whatever type of research they want to. You just have to pick up on those technical skills of a PhD (grant writing, setting up an experiment, publishing) through other means. A PhD helps with that. But it's fact that there are MDs that do some of the same research that PhDs and MD/PhDs do. An MD with a track record of experience and publications in any field is comparable to any MD/PhD.

MDs can supervise clinical trials, and PhDs cannot. That's pretty much the only difference. Most MDs involved in research involves clinical trials or clinical studies involving human subjects (e.g. retrospective analyses). PhDs can also be involved in these studies, but they rarely are the leaders of the study and instead assist in epidemiology or biostatitics.

Most PhDs do basic science research. MDs can do the exact same studies if they get the training (often during residency or fellowship). MD/PhDs are no different than the MDs, except they get formalized research training early in their careers.

question : if you're a PMHNP and you have a PhD in Non-clinical Psychology, which kind of psych research projects could you get involved in, if any (nursing, clinical, basic) ?
sorry i know this is a forum for Med students not nursing. just hoping you can teach me something. :) thank you