Research- necessary ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThNeal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it or is it not? I've heard mixed reviews and want to know what you guys have heard/are familiar with. Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

It's not necessary but it certainly helps in being a well-rounded candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
It can only help you; however, it is not necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is not necessary, but is having an individual "thing" or "niche" that makes you a unique applicant necessary? Yes. Mine was volunteering in a specific category of places because it tied into my life's goals. You need something on your application such as an extracurricular that helps the adcom view you as an individual strength necessary to the future dental class. For some, it may be research.

I wouldn't do research if you "think you need to have it". But if its something that really interests you then go for it. All dental schools are different though and I would read up on your target schools and maybe ask their offices what they think.

It's not necessary at all, but I can only assume that it can help you rather than hurt you. Do it if you enjoy it and/or find interest in it.

Nope. I got 3 interviews with zero research experience. And I got accepted to a school that is really into research haha.

I've done a few summers of research now. Only do it if your heart's in it, otherwise you won't enjoy yourself

I agree with everyone above. Do it if you want to do it in dentistry! If you just want to practice/serve the underserved then nah

I say go with it if you have the access, it's pretty much safe to do activities that pre-health/pre-med would do as well for pre-dental, such as research.

Research might open your eyes to something you really love! And, I think it will really help your application. I've done research and it will be a big part of my app

I was told during an interview that they did not care about how much research experience I had conducted. "We are going to teach you how to do research OUR way" o_O

I would do research even if it isn't dental related research.

Find a school that gives a large stipend for summer research:happy:

Mula + new friends + networking + new experiences

I did research at a large research institution over one summer and it was an awesome experience.