Research Opportunity Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boeing112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a long time lurker of SDN, and I have a question to ask the community. My father has just offered me an opportunity to work within his lab in a foreign country for the summer, and I am curious as to how that will look in terms of adcoms. Will adcoms look less upon my research if my father was the PI? I also have other research experience so this would not be my only research experience. Does the fact that the research was done in another country matter? Also, he would give me the opportunity to help work on projects, if that resulted in a paper, would the fact that both my father's last name and mine being on the paper diminish the value of it? Thank you for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Even if adcoms will look less upon your research due to the fact that your father is the PI. it would still count as research experience in which you'll gain knowledge and your dad will be more inclined to teach you patiently.

I would say go for it if you don't have other opportunity available. After all, what is the harm?

Hello, long time lurker here as well. Another question you should consider (if you haven't already) is whether you plan on getting a letter of recommendation at the end. Admissions don't like letters from family members.

One of my PI's first experience in lab was with his dad who is a prominent scientist. He eventually went on to do a MD/PHD at Hopkins for med school. IMO it doesn't reflect poorly at all. Just make sure you also work in other labs to get rec letters as a rec letter from your father would not be helpful. The best hting to look for when joining a lab is whether its a lab you really think you can gain a lot from whether its learning or publications, and also a lab where you think you can thrive in. If it just so happens ur dad's lab can fulfill those two, then by all means