Research Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulikedaggers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a school with very few options for research. It's not a research school by any means and I am starting to lose hope that I'll be able to line something up between now and the beginning of summer. I also will not be able to fund living somewhere else for 8 weeks.

What other options are there for someone in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Case reports if there is literally 0 research. Find an interesting case and write it up.

Although, I think if you look a little harder there is someone somewhere on your campus doing a clinical something or another.

There are research programs separate from your school that will pay you. The ones that I applied to deadlines have passed. I would do a google search and also look at nearby med schools/ hospitals websites. I think some medschool a open these programs up to outside students. Also ask your dean if they know of any such programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case reports if there is literally 0 research. Find an interesting case and write it up.

Although, I think if you look a little harder there is someone somewhere on your campus doing a clinical something or another.

There are research programs separate from your school that will pay you. The ones that I applied to deadlines have passed. I would do a google search and also look at nearby med schools/ hospitals websites. I think some medschool a open these programs up to outside students. Also ask your dean if they know of any such programs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually just about to submit a case report, but I know they don't carry as much weight on your CV as an actual research study.

Also, there are options for research, but not in the fields I am interested in (mainly the "competitive" specialties) and I don't know if being published in an unrelated field would actually be beneficial. I did apply for some of the paid research programs around the country, but I doubt I'll get accepted considering I have absolutely no research background.

Talk with upperclassmen going into the specialty you're interested in. They should be able to point you toward someone doing something, and may even have projects they need help with/are sick of and are willing to share authorship (especially post-interview MS4s).

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually just about to submit a case report, but I know they don't carry as much weight on your CV as an actual research study.

Also, there are options for research, but not in the fields I am interested in (mainly the "competitive" specialties) and I don't know if being published in an unrelated field would actually be beneficial. I did apply for some of the paid research programs around the country, but I doubt I'll get accepted considering I have absolutely no research background.

Can't really help with your OP, but if you're going into something non-competitive, research in nearly any field will be seen as a benefit.