May 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied to a research position at UCLA which I was really interested in after I applied to some DO schools. I recently got accepted to a school which is a great school and I really like. However, I also got offered a job at UCLA to help with a research topic which REALLY interests me. Now, I don't know which one to accept. If I accept the research position, I will have to reapply to medical school to start school in fall of 2013 (and of course there is no guarantee to gain a spot, although I am pretty confident I can get in).

I am just really confused. I don't know which one to accept. I was wondering what you guys thought about it. It would make me really sad to turn down the research position but I feel it would be stupid to choose it over school.

SoulinNeed

7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you're planning on being a doctor, then take the DO spot. Turning down a DO spot will kill your chances at DO schools next year, from what I've heard.

OP
mydec
May 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean obviously if they asked me directly, I would tell them. But I don't think they would ask me directly if I turned down a seat in the past.

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
If you're planning on being a doctor, then take the DO spot. Turning down a DO spot will kill your chances at DO schools next year, from what I've heard.
no, actually it won't. DO schools have no way of knowing that you got into a school and turned it down- it will only kill your chances at the specific DO school you turned down.

tide11189

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
South Carolina
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just defer 1 year from the school. They won't mind.

Apr 26, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Would you regret not doing the research project? I say do whatever will make you happiest. DO school can wait, especially if you are in no rush to be a doctor, and this research position would make your app stronger when applying. It all just comes down to what makes you happiest though.

OP
mydec
May 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I already submitted my deposit (one day before I was offered the UCLA job). Plus, I'm not sure that is a good enough reason to defer.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
I already submitted my deposit (one day before I was offered the UCLA job). Plus, I'm not sure that is a good enough reason to defer.
Call them. If they say yes, your problem is gone. If they say no, you're in the exact same situation.

OP
mydec
May 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I called them and she said it really depends on the situation. She said she would need me submit a formal request for a deferment to be considered and the admissions committee would look at it and decide on a case by case basis. I am going to do that and see what happens. But I think I have decided that if the deferment is not approved, I will have to turn down the job.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
I called them and she said it really depends on the situation. She said she would need me submit a formal request for a deferment to be considered and the admissions committee would look at it and decide on a case by case basis. I am going to do that and see what happens. But I think I have decided that if the deferment is not approved, I will have to turn down the job.
I think that's a good plan. Good luck!

PJ meowerton

7+ Year Member
May 25, 2010
Status
is the research position really that good? Is it going to help you get into residency? The longer you wait to go to med school the higher the tuition is going to get, it raises each year, you are also cutting years off that you'll be earning a doctors salary, unless its really that awesome, I wouldn't wait to go to school

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Forget the research, be a doctor.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2010
Stuck in cold weather....
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied to a research position at UCLA which I was really interested in after I applied to some DO schools. I recently got accepted to a school which is a great school and I really like. However, I also got offered a job at UCLA to help with a research topic which REALLY interests me. Now, I don't know which one to accept. If I accept the research position, I will have to reapply to medical school to start school in fall of 2013 (and of course there is no guarantee to gain a spot, although I am pretty confident I can get in).

I am just really confused. I don't know which one to accept. I was wondering what you guys thought about it. It would make me really sad to turn down the research position but I feel it would be stupid to choose it over school.
Is this some kind of sick joke? Let me weigh those options for you. Doctor...research assistant,Doctor...research assistant,Doctor...research assistant.... hard choice:rolleyes:

May 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Two things: what were you stats, and are you sure you can leve your research job after one year? Almost every research job requires a two year commitment.

OP
mydec
May 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that's a good plan. Good luck!
Thanks!

is the research position really that good? Is it going to help you get into residency? The longer you wait to go to med school the higher the tuition is going to get, it raises each year, you are also cutting years off that you'll be earning a doctors salary, unless its really that awesome, I wouldn't wait to go to school
That is a good point. The tuition does keep going up, although I was looking at scholarships. It is a good position but but I guess it's also that I would get a break. My cousin, who is in his fellowship right now, said that he regrets not taking a break between his undergrad, mcat, med school, etc. I also think it may be able to help me get into a residency later at UCLA if I choose to because I will be working in the hospital and making those connections.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Let me weigh those options for you. Doctor...research assistant,Doctor...research assistant,Doctor...research assistant.... hard choice:rolleyes:
LOL it sounds easy when you say it like that. I think the real way we should weigh it is this:

Medical school now vs. medical school next year after helping with research at a great school and getting a break. (It's a Staff Research Associate, SRA, position). And like I said earlier, it may help me get into a good residency program. You made it sound like I am forever choosing not to be a doctor if I were a SRA for one year.

Two things: what were you stats, and are you sure you can leve your research job after one year? Almost every research job requires a two year commitment.
Yes because I already told her in the original interview that if I were offered then accepted the position, I can only commit to one year because of my school.

Last edited:

ViciousKicks

5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
So, I spent four years as a research assistant, by a few different titles (your SRA title means nothing special), at a top tier university, an international pharmeceutical company, and then a premier research institute. Go to medical school now. The chance that you will meet someone now who can help you get a residency spot is so so low. You will spend your day in a lab or clinic with little to no beneficial contact with others. If you want to do research seek out a dual degree. A year in a lab is just enough time to learn the basics if you are fresh. The break may seem alluring, but working full time is not a break. It is work.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2010
Stuck in cold weather....
Status
Pre-Medical
So, I spent four years as a research assistant, by a few different titles (your SRA title means nothing special), at a top tier university, an international pharmeceutical company, and then a premier research institute. Go to medical school now. The chance that you will meet someone now who can help you get a residency spot is so so low. You will spend your day in a lab or clinic with little to no beneficial contact with others. If you want to do research seek out a dual degree. A year in a lab is just enough time to learn the basics if you are fresh. The break may seem alluring, but working full time is not a break. It is work.
This. You can focus on research while in medical school, if you really want to do a competitive residency that bad.(I plan on doing this as well) You don't have to push back medical school a year for that and the research you do in medschool will have a direct impact on your residency chances.

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
wasting a years worth of attending salary to potentially do the same research while in med school.

CopToEM

Livin' the Dream
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Southeast US
Status
Medical Student
wasting a years worth of attending salary to potentially do the same research while in med school.
This. Get on with it - you can make a much more staying impact on the field of research once you have your medical education. Not to mention the research opportunities will only increase once you've done so.

May 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
No DO school will have research opportunities even close to what she'd get at UCLA

That is a good point. The tuition does keep going up, although I was looking at scholarships. It is a good position but but I guess it's also that I would get a break. My cousin, who is in his fellowship right now, said that he regrets not taking a break between his undergrad, mcat, med school, etc. I also think it may be able to help me get into a residency later at UCLA if I choose to because I will be working in the hospital and making those connections.
Many people do regret not taking a break; many do not regret having taken a break

As a DO, you will (most likely) not be able to match into any competitive residency at UCLA, and even in less competitive fields, you'll have to aim for Harbor or Olive View (and even then, I'm not seeing a lot/any DO residents in their programs)

Again, this goes back to the 'if you're stats are actually decent and you want to try again, you should probably let us know so we can give you helpful advice.'

PJ meowerton

7+ Year Member
May 25, 2010
Status
I think that would be a crazy to risk it with another application cycle, you'd feel pretty stupid if you didn't get in