Research or Volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panadacoke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need your advices on whether to do research or volunteer in a hospital. I was planning to volunteer in a hospital starting in coming fall since I don't have any experience in that. However, I just found a pharmaceutical research being launched in my school (and the person in charge is a Pharm.D). I know that it's better to do both but I only have time for either one. If I choose research, would I have less chance to get in since I have never had the experience in health care?

Members don't see this ad.

panadacoke,
Having done both I would reccomned doing what you think you will enjoy the most, that way when you talk about it in an interview you can passionatley describe what you did and why you decided to do it. If your worried about being exposed to the medical profession and pharmacy in general, see if you can schedule a shadow with a pharmacist. It would only have to be for a few hours and you could get a feel for what the profession is like. Then when you interview you can say why you like or dislike a certain part of the profession.
DR