Research output for matching at neuro internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainStormer

Reaction score
Looking to receive current information on how important research output is in an application for securing a solid neuro internship (with some protected research time) at an AMC or VA. What's the range of pubs and posters I should aim for? I know the mode is 0, but this seems to not be the case for those pursuing neuro.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't reviewed apps in a few years, but I'd say it'd be nice to have at least a couple pubs (not necessarily all first author) and a handful or more (e.g., maybe 5-10) of posters at regional and national conferences.

From my perspective, if I saw that, I'd think the person had at least decent research output.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't reviewed apps in a few years, but I'd say it'd be nice to have at least a couple pubs (not necessarily all first author) and a handful or more (e.g., maybe 5-10) of posters at regional and national conferences.

From my perspective, if I saw that, I'd think the person had at least decent research output.
Do non-neuro pubs/posters count as part of this? I will likely have 3 first author pubs (as well as around 3 second-third author) in well known assessment and SMI journals, and maybe 1 will be neuro-related. Conference presentations will likely be similar, though maybe more. This is mainly due to a lack of neuro research opportunities but plenty neuro clinical opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is mainly due to a lack of neuro research opportunities but plenty neuro clinical opportunities.
Are your prac supervisors involved in research? I know a couple people in my program who hopped on research projects with their prac supervisors and came out with 3 additional pubs. Then again, those supervisors were employed at an R1 AMC that had resources and funding.

Do non-neuro pubs/posters count as part of this? I will likely have 3 first author pubs (as well as around 3 second-third author) in well known assessment and SMI journals, and maybe 1 will be neuro-related. Conference presentations will likely be similar, though maybe more. This is mainly due to a lack of neuro research opportunities but plenty neuro clinical opportunities.
Broadly speaking, yes. Neuro-focused pubs are ideal, but any amount of research productivity is going to be appreciated. The challenge there will then be explaining how/why you're interested in neuropsych despite the non-neuro research. If you've have neuro-related practicum experiences throughout grad school, that probably be will be less of an issue.

I was just talking with my internship TD and another mentor (also a TD). It does seem to anecdotally be a stronger expectation to have evidence of research productivity in neuropsych vs. the broader clinical/school/counseling psych tracks, but not a must and it definitely does not offset the necessity for well-rounded externship training and other foundational clinical skills.

FWIW - having a dissertation that will be defended (or close to defended) before internship begins is something that I know a lot of folks perceive as valuable given that the internship year is a full-time gig (and often well over 40+ hours per week), leaving you little time to practice effective self-care or engaging in additional opportunities (e.g., student governance roles) if you have your dissertation hanging over your head.

Reactions: 1 user