Research paper - Bio course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCT PC CRN

RCT-PC-CRN
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the research paper you submit as a part of bio course count as Research Experience in AADSAS?

I had to submit 2 research paper as part of bio course. One for first half of the course and other one in second half.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the research paper you submit as a part of bio course count as Research Experience in AADSAS?

I had to submit 2 research paper as part of bio course. One for first half of the course and other one in second half.

Most research experience falls under the category of internships, "undergraduate research class", and publishing papers.

I wrote 6 research papers for my bio class, but I didn't list them. I think if they ask me about them and I say they were for bio class....they will probably raise an eyebrow and see I was just trying to get away with fluff.

Your call though.

If it's a paper you and your classmates worked on as part of a project, NO! It doesn't count as research experience. I believe what they mean by having a research experience is that you actually worked in a LAB and have taken part in publishing a paper.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'd have to say no unless it was original research (in a lab) submitted for peer review and publication..which it doesn't sound like it is. Just always ask yourself, would I feel dumb if they asked me about this at an interview and I just said it was a paper for a class?

Sorry champ.

i've written like 15 research papers for science classes, do they count as research? NO.

I did however do 3 semesters of periodontal research in a hospital lab...now that counts

Hm. I did an exhaustive literary research and wrote a paper of results as a part of my Master's Biology independent studies course. I listed it as research. Did it on my own under the guidance of my PI.

This was all mainstream stuff. Basically, the independent studies course is supposed to introduce me to the subject, and I would eventually carry out laboratory research on my own. I wrote the paper for myself and future lab members which will be using it as a reference for their research, as well as proposing a novel hypothesis on why this and that occur. Basically, it is a review article in all forms except that it is not published and only used for our lab. Think of it as the gathering of preliminary information for a research topic.

I remember professors speaking to me that some research experience constitutes things outside of working in the lab too, such as literary searches of these purposes, and generally understanding what research is all about. Hope I did not list it incorrectly :x

But I did specifically write that those X amount of hours were for academic credit and it was all for writing a paper of that type, so that should be ok regardless if adcom reads it?

Last edited: