Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2016
Tarsal Tunnel
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

I have an option of being part of a research lab, and I was wondering if it will be worth doing it for increasing my chances of landing a residency? I have an MPH as well.

Also, does it have to be in a specific area (like wound care or diabetes) or something in biochem or cell bio is also sufficient?

Thank you

PS: I did search for old threads regarding the topic, but they were out of context to my Ques.

Last edited:

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2016
Tarsal Tunnel
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It won't help you land a residency. Kicking butt during your externship, being likable and doing well at interviews Is what gets you a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So, your research work at Scholl didn't help with the residency at all? Thanks.

About the Ads

I post PRN

Mar 12, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
I think it will help you get a residency that does a lot of research...only if you have the attributes ankle breaker talks about above. You can have a PhD and have found the cure to cancer, but if you're not likable, hard worker, etc, you won't get a good residency program.

Reactions: 1 users

feet2017

7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Grades are the single most important thing to getting your foot into interviews/externships. Then it's about how well you are liked and how you do on externships/interviews. Research would only marginally help you at getting a program.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.