Research presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNDOC31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some input. I have several papers that I've been working on that have been accepted for publication. However, I was wondering if there is any benefit to me in doing a poster presentation of one of them? Is it viewed much more highly to have presented one of the papers as compared to having your name on the publication? It would be presented at my med school's research day, and I'm wondering if it's worth me putting in the extra time to prepare a poster in the midst of the busyness of school? Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, do that poster! -my 2 cents

As a 4th year who just received my Honors in Research, it's all worth it! It's a long hard, much under valued road (by other students, not faculty) it has taught me so much. I have taken what I know about writing research results and applied this to so many other areas of my interest.

This poster presentation is something you can add to your residency application, however your name on a published paper does mean a lot more than a poster presentation.

Value in the research world is very subjective, but there is a ladder that all researchers know.

Have you ever made/presented a poster? It is a good experience to do this if you haven't. Putting together and presenting a poster forces you to hone down and explain the essential parts of your project and organize it in a visually-digestible format. In addition, the social networking that goes on in this format is a valuable skill for a future researcher. Not to mention that you can put it on your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it, preparing a poster shouldn't take TOO much time plus every little thing on the CV helps. These days you can probably just power point it and get the whole thing printed up at once if you have access to your med school/department's digital imaging services/facility or whatever.

Is it viewed much more highly to have presented one of the papers as compared to having your name on the publication?

FYI, the answer to this in NO WAY IN HELL. Like everyone else, I strongly recommend you do the poster. But you cannot equate presenting a poster at your med school symposia (that no one outside of your school will ever hear) to authorship on a paper is that is part of scientific literature. Frankly, you can present a poster about anything and need almost no data to do it. Papers are peer reviewed. There is a huge difference.

I agree with this last poster, but I do want to clarify something:

A national poster presentation IS peer reviewed, or at least the abstract is peer reviewed, so NATIONAL SCIENTIFIC meetings have great meaning in the science world. These acepted posters generally will result in a paper as that's the natural course of research.

Your poster presentation at your school is not peer reviewed and does not carry the same weight, but is a good expereinec. e

FYI, the answer to this in NO WAY IN HELL. Like everyone else, I strongly recommend you do the poster. But you cannot equate presenting a poster at your med school symposia (that no one outside of your school will ever hear) to authorship on a paper is that is part of scientific literature. Frankly, you can present a poster about anything and need almost no data to do it. Papers are peer reviewed. There is a huge difference.
Many of the bigger conferences do publish the synopses of the poster presentations in journals......an example would be the frequent supplements that you find in periodicals such as Chest and others. Those will be brought up during a Pubmed or a similar search and therefore could be counted as part of the scientific literature. Granted, the published paper carries more weight, but there is nothing wrong with doing a poster if you have the time to spare.