Research Programs for Foreign Medical Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently graduated from a med school in India and am very interested in doing a research based program in an international med school before my residency. don't wanna do a phd(too long)..anyone who knows of any such thing..please lemme know!

Members don't see this ad.

Your options will be limited being a non-US citizen. You can try applying for a master's degree (shorter than a PhD), or try going for a NIH IRTA position (just google it).

Another interpretation of 'your options will be limited' is that you must rely a lot more on 1) diligence including doing your homework on programs/labs/institutions that are open to FMGs and 2) luck. I highlight #2 because that's the major component. I was working in an academic institution and I think all the small pieces fell into place that the division hired an FMG and who later published quite a handful of nice papers with the group. Work hard, throw your CV out there, cast a wide net, and pray.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same situation as apur and googled for NIH IRTA as suggested by RxnMan which directed me to https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta
However, this site states that one has to be either US Citizen or Green Card holder to apply for this program.
Are there any other programs which are open or FMGs?
Please suggest.
Thanks

I am in the same situation as apur and googled for NIH IRTA as suggested by RxnMan which directed me to https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta
However, this site states that one has to be either US Citizen or Green Card holder to apply for this program.
Are there any other programs which are open or FMGs?
Please suggest.
Thanks

Hi, try emailing different researchers in areas that truly interest you, try naturejobs.com,research gate etc or simply google with the right "keywords". HAPPY HUNTING